An alternative to inside out turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobham

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone else has as many problems as I do with alignment and glue squeeze out issues when making inside out ornaments, you might want to try this method:
http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/Christ ... ament1.htm

They come out looking about the same but there is no waiting for glue to dry. :)

image009.jpg

Take care
Bob

Nice article,Bob - thanks for posting it.
My first square turning was done following your instructions,so thanks for that one as well :D

Andrew

Hi Bob, great idea! Thanks for passing it on.

May have a go for this xmas.

Thanks a lot for that, I've been trying the inside out ornaments, and I keep blowing the darn things up :oops:

My bowl work is OK, but my spindle work needs more work.......... OBVIOUSLY :roll:

Cheers!

Very nice Bob :D
Thanks for the piccys.
I have tried this once,but with the glue up.I think this method is better.
Can i ask what speed were you doing when sanding the inner.
Paul.J.

Hi, Paul:
Actually the lathe was set at 2000 rpm. and I never changed it during the entire process from start to finish. That may not be the best idea but I never really gave it any thought until I read your question.... :)

Take care
Bob

Hi, Paul:
As long as you are careful to only approach the piece along the axis of the lathe bed it is really just like sanding the inside of a box. I just finished sanding six more and I did have my left hand on top of the headstock to steady myself while I was sanding with my right hand. I did get another brain wave and switched over to using a 1" diameter drum sander chucked into an electric drill when the tedium of doing them by hand caught up to me. :) That keeps your hands completely out of the way.

Take care
Bob

HI Bob

Thanks for the posts, I have to make some this year so I will give them a go.

john

Thanks Bob.That does seem a better/safer solution.
Another question is,that i do not have any step jaws,so could i do it another way.I have a Supernova2 chuck :?
Paul.J.

Hi, Paul:
Any jaws that will go into the hole would work. Also, since the holes are bored using a sawtooth forstner bit they should be very consistent in their diameters, so you might be able to make a jam chuck that would hold them well enough for sanding. It would be similar to making the spigot on a turned box that is a tight enough fit that you can put the lid on and then turn and sand the finial.

Good Luck!
Bob

I had another thought, Paul. I have a Oneway basic chuck, a Oneway Talon chuck, and a Supernova II chuck. I have found that my Oneway jaws will fit on the Supernova chuck if I remove the little roll pin that is used to limit how far you can open the chuck on Oneway chucks. The Supernova uses a different system to limit the jaw travel so you would still be protected. The mounting screw hole spacing is the same and the locating rib will fit into the Supernova jaws.

The locating rib on Nova jaw sets seems to be just a hair thicker than the Oneway jaw set rib, so Nova jaws will not fit on Oneway chucks, but Oneway jaws will fit on Nova chucks. That is jaws for the Oneway basic or Talon chucks, not the Stronghold jaws. That means you could get a set of Oneway's step jaws and they would work on your chuck if you wanted to go that way. I use my step jaws a lot but it depends on what you are turning.

Take care
Bob

That's a good idea! :idea: a lot easier! not round enought for my liking but if you made one and cut it accross the center, t'would make a nice little mount for a piece. :-k

Back