american purchased powertools in uk/ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obriendarad70

Reaction score
i am returning from usa to ireland in the summer and am planning to buy some power tools here before i leave as they are cheap here. a friend here says his dad has a whole shop at home converted like this and that all i need is a transformer and a few adapters. is this through and will i be able to get spare parts and accessories?? any advice much appreciated.

Hope you've had a great time over the water. I know that the American's use 110volt electrics, but I don't know at what cycle. In the U.K its at about 50-60 hertz.If it is the same as in the U.K then it should be possible to buy a trasformer (240v down to 110v,)
I've just been told by an electrician friend of mine that in the states it's usually 60 hertz, and that it should be o.k with the U.K cycle rate. When buying a transformer U.K side, ensure that it is a yellow Box and plug, as that denotes 240v / 110v. It is possible to get blue and red boxes and plugs but these are for 240v and 415v useage, and NOT for the use with american tools.
Please confirm all figures that I have given you, And ensure the cycle rate is compatible, with a qualified Electrician. I am just a mere chippie who used to do site work.
Good luck , let us know the price differences.

Decklan.

I suggest that also purchase a supply of US sockets/outlets and wire these in your workshop fed from yellow plug and 110volt transformer suitably fused.
In this way you can keep the US plugs on your 110volt tools and when you inevitably acquire some 240 volt tools these can use their standard plugs and locally approved sockets

In this way there should be no way you can accidentally plug your US tools into 240v power. Remember doing this will let the smoke out very quickly and American smoke needed to refill power tools, is very expensive to buy in Europe. All power tools need to be filled with smoke and kept sealed in for correct operation.

Higher power US tools (and hefty domestic appliances) run on 220volts which will be OK to use directly on European voltages.
Ignore any myths of US 220 volts supplies being 'two phase'. These are bunk and regularly spread on the Interweb.

hth

Bob

Back