American black walnut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe so, as do Devon hardwoods which may be closer to you.
Mike

LN
Why not Atkins and Cripps? I've got ABW from them - they get it in from their Essex branch - only takes a couple of days.
It will be cheaper than Yandles too.
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":36ckjo7c said:
LN
Why not Atkins and Cripps? I've got ABW from them - they get it in from their Essex branch - only takes a couple of days.
It will be cheaper than Yandles too.
Cheers
Gidon

I rang them yesterday. My problem is I want 2 1/2" thick! Price quoted for 1" thick is £41.71 cu ft and for 2 1/2" it was an unbelievable £61.41 cu ft.

Now pricing it at £61.41 cu ft and adding 25% more than I need my calculations bring it too £799.

I gave the sizes to A&C they came up with the price in excess of £1300 :shock: There was a long pause before I asked "How do you get it to that figure?" His answer was the computer adds 75% wastage, I repeat 75% wastage. I then went through the figures again and he plucked a figure out of a little over £1100, then after more heated discussion he got to £980. At that point I gave him the sizes I need for my finnished project with no allowance for waste which comes to a little under 10 cu ft I then added 25% and rounded it up to 13 cu ft. He's ringing me back with another price maybe on Monday when they work out the minimum I can do the project with. I aint holding my breath that they will ring me. :evil:

PS... None of the above figures include vat :x

I think 25% wastage is pretty optimistic with sawn timber. I allow normally 50-100% depending on what timber is being used. I work on the principle that its better to have some left over for the next project, or to allow for a mistake or to be able to choose the best grain.

Cheers

Tim

Thats the usual sort of mularky I seem to end up going through when trying to buy wood and it doesnt help that I still cant really get my head around cubic feet etc. Anyway if its of any use I bought a Black Walnut plank from Devon hardwoods for £90. 12 ft long about 20cm wide by about 5 cm thick. No idea what that might be in cubic feet :/ but it might serve as a guide to their prices. That included delivery by the way (no more than 20 miles).
Cheers Mike

The wastage will be affected a lot by the amount of sapwood you are willing to accept and A. B. Walnut comes with quite a bit of it.

You should also be allowing to waste approx 12"/300mm from the end of the boards to allow for any splits and planer snipe if you suffer from that. Not so bad to cut your verticals from as they can all be got from one length but the longer boards for the top will have a larger % of waste.

BTW mr's £90 works out at £68/cu.ft.

Jason

Hi

My calculations are: 12L x 12W x 12T = 1728 cubic inches (being 1 cubic foot). Using MR's board; 144L x 8W x 2T = 2304CI. So 2304CI / 1728CI = 1.333 cubic foot, divided by £90 is £67.5 a cf, including Vat and delivery, sounds pretty good for that thickness. I've had a bit of sapwood with black walnut in the past so I agree with the 50-100% wastage factor.

Cheers

Liam

This is more of an enquiry than anything else.

Now, I have only built- a built in sideboard, from rubbish pine and scrap ply. Two side tables, and a toolbox, so, as you can see, I don't know much, but, I thought you added 10% for waste?

jasonB":3ps5v0l5 said:
The wastage will be affected a lot by the amount of sapwood you are willing to accept and A. B. Walnut comes with quite a bit of it.

You should also be allowing to waste approx 12"/300mm from the end of the boards to allow for any splits and planer snipe if you suffer from that. Not so bad to cut your verticals from as they can all be got from one length but the longer boards for the top will have a larger % of waste.

Jason
No worries Jason as I need only 3ft long boards I priced up 5ft long then added 25%-30% in square footage to the total I need i.e. I only need 48 square ft at 2" thick = 8 cu ft

I've now ordered 62.5 square ft at 2 1/2" = 13 cu ft so plenty for waste.

Best thing is I found this web site http://www.ttf.co.uk/buying/products/

Typed in what I was looking for and from the very long list went down it looking for the nearest to me. The third phone call was to James Latham at Yate. Price in the sizes I want £50 cu ft, what a result from A&C quote :D I'm one happy bunny.

I've had a bit of sapwood with black walnut in the past so I agree with the 50-100% wastage factor.

It's pretty hard to get ABW without the sap these days, this could be why the increase in waste. I bought around 5 boards for the last comp and all had too much to use, i couldn't return as i'd cut the pippers to length to fit in the car :oops:

Gary

You probably have a better selection of timber to those of us on this side of the pond, keeping all the good stuff for yourselves :wink:

A lot will depend on whats available for example if I wanted to end up with a finished board width of 6 3/4" this would come out of a 7" nominal board so little waste. However if the suppliers only have 9" wide boards in stock then I will be wasting 2" off every board which equates to about 22% waste.

Likewise for length if I was making doors at 6'6" tall I would have to buy 8ft minimum lengths unless I could get long boards at say 13ft which would give me ywo styles and little waste.

If you then bring grain & figure into it then the waste goes up depending on what the timber is like and what you are willing to accept .

Lord N

Used to use James Latham quite a bit at one time, always found them very good, do some nice unsorted redwood as well as a wide range of hardwoods.

Jason

Lord Nibbo":2vmbr9u3 said:
I've now ordered 62.5 square ft at 2 1/2" = 13 cu ft so plenty for waste.

Wow - that's a lot of ABW! What you making?

I've been messed around by A&C with regard to pricing before - depends on who you speak to, what day of the week it is and how they're measuring barnaclesthat week!!

Yate's a fair trek from you - are they delivering?

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":1j93r3ce said:
Wow - that's a lot of ABW! What you making?

Yate's a fair trek from you - are they delivering?

Cheers

Gidon

It will be two of these, this pic does not show the top drop down door which will have stays and the lower draw front, both will be one inch thick.

287796254_f832345f2e.jpg

I've got to go to Bristol in a few days time, so hopefully I can do Yate the same day.

Edit..... Ah! the Burnicle Rule, I remember that thread, yes every thing said in that posting rings true, three times I've bought wood from the Plymouth branch and three times I've had to pay more than quoted price. :evil:

I used A & C recently and had to claim a shortfall in delivery. I only received 40% of what had been ordered and paid for. Was told it was a computer glitch in their calculation program. Must say though, no arguments and the 'error' was corrected within a couple of days.

Sorry LN - missed your post - very nice!
Freetochat - I think their Essex branch seems much better - at least when I speak with them on the phone. Glad they sorted you out though.
Cheers
Gidon

Back