am i the only one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
As i get little time in the shop, Sunday evenings tend to be glue up time.
I got up this morning and dressed for the office went in to take the clamps off my latest project.
But i can never leave it just there, before i knew it grabbed my smoother...
I new it was time to stop when I started thinking I should take my tie off before sharpening the blade :roll:

tombo":2gq6rs11 said:
I new it was time to stop when I started thinking I should take my tie off before sharpening the blade :roll:

No - you're not the only one. I think shop safety is important too, so I also remove loose and dangling clothing items when working in the shop.

Presumably you continued your sharpening once your tie was removed like a good woodie should. :)

Why dont you just tuck it into your shirt, like I used to do, mind you, I just dont wear one now

Tom
No sir, you are not alone. I really can't wait to remove the clamps the morning following a glue-up and get planing. :D
And I usually find myself in my dressing gown at 7 am doing this :oops: :lol:

As a solution I have gone over to using 5 minute polyurethane glue - a real step forward!!! No waiting "overnight" for the glue to cure. Clamp up, make a cuppa, remove the clamps and get planing. :D

Hope this helps
Philly :D

Guilty also of the "well, while I'm here I might as well...." scenario. It's not unheard of for me to say "I'm just going to lock the workshop" at 11:00pm and return as the birds start chirping :roll:

Why dont you just tuck it into your shirt, like I used to do, mind you, I just dont wear one now

No same here. I find that I just can't keep away from the shop and am always in there doing something. Mind you I don't go in before work on the early shift at 5.30am! :lol:

In answer Waka
If you take your tie off how are you going to clean the blade.
On the front of my Trousers of course, where else would an engineer clean anything :roll:

Paul
On your shirt, of course
sometimes I have to go out and see customers and the muck doesnt show up on your trousers like it does on a white shirt

Waka":8wqk0vp5 said:
If you take your tie off how are you going to clean the blade.
You should have a nice white handkerchief (embroidered initials optional) for wiping things with, they are really good if you are using an oil stone lubricated with used sump oil, of course SWMBO may not understand the urgent need to wipe the blade. :roll:

Leaving the hanky in the sleeve of your white shirt is the best option or you will not be able to find it when needed. :wink:

Have never done anything like that...yet

But I did pick up the new Rutlands Catalogue to read on the train this morning :oops: :wink:

These posts make me feel so much better about sitting in my workshop at 7am in my dressing gown waking up with a cup of coffee and the cat sat on my lap. Alternatively I could sit in the warm house watching breakfast tele........

Back