Alternatives to TuffSaw Bandsaw Blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As Tuffsaws are not sending orders outside UK, can anyone recommend an alternative supplier of high quality bandsaw Blades?

Tks

They're great (Axminster blades, I mean). The thing you get with Ian (Tuffsaws) is knowledge and guidance, and a swift personal service. The blades are great, but they're just bandsaw blades, and other people make good bandsaw blades too.

but they're just bandsaw blades, and other people make good bandsaw blades too.
Couldn’t agree more as at the end of the day they are only cutting off a roll & welding, they will all be buying in the blade from a limited number of suppliers.

Prior to welding up my own blades I used to use Beverstock Ltd. - Bandsaw Blades and CNC Sharpening who according to their site ship to Europe

I have used Axminster standard blades, ground tooth and tuffsaws. The tuffsaws I could see no difference between them and the standard axminster, maybe slightly better but I have no proper evidence of that, could just be my perception.

Axminster ground tooth however are definitely superior blades to either the standard or tuffsaws. They are sharper, smoother cutting and they definitely last longer.

The clincher for me though is that (for my saw) the axminster ground tooth blade is slightly cheaper than the tuffsaws blade and they offer free shipping on a certain spend. I only need to buy a few blades at a time to qualify for the free shipping and I am usually picking up a few other bits from axminster as well. It's a no brainer for me, a superior blade for less money.

I am not anti tuffsaws, I just don't think they live up to the hype. Oh and FWIW I have had quality control issues with both axminster and tuffsaws. Axminster I have had a bad weld on one that broke and a poor weld location where the tooth needed re-shaping, with tuffsaws I have had more than one blade arrive the wrong size. In both cases the customer service was excellent (I didn't complain about the dodgy tooth blade, I just fixed it, took less time than sending an email)

I agree with all that has gone before and use both but one product Tuffsaws offer which unless I am mistaken Axminster do not is a varitooth blade. I find this blade the best for cutting veneers - the intermittent smaller tooth seems to make a noticeable difference.

Full marks to Ian at Tuffsaws for having built the reputation for his small business that he has. 🏆

I'm not sure (I haven't checked) that they do an M42 blade either. These last forever, at the cost of a wider kerf and a more expensive purchase price.

axi do (or did) an m42 blade. I have one that they sent me as a sample a couple of years back.

The extra cost of an M42 would have to translate into significantly longer life, I am not sure it would for me as I cut a lot of abrasive material that wears out HSS tools quite quickly so I think for myself cheaper is better.

Regarding wrong sized blades. My axminster 350 data plate on blade size is wrong. I know others are (were?) as well. The first ones I ordered from tufsaws didnt fit, so I measured very carefully and told Ian EXACTLY how long to make my blades, to nearest 2 mm. Just one of several reasons I buy from him, even though I was the first to fall foul of his "no exports" ban as early as last year. I still get them sent to my relatives in the UK and they bring them across for me.
I can get blades made here, although not as thin as tuffsaws do, but the quality is not the same.

I use Tuff saw blades for wood and metal.....
the metal ones have a cobalt content 5% ??? man they cut well and last for ages.....I'm always cutting 10inch x 10mm plate and round solid stock upto 75mm.....
Stuff the price difference, if u DON"T support the little guy they disapear to EVERYONES loss......
then the big guy's just shaft u as they always do when they control the market....
the blades fom M/Mart who I first bought from did quite well till I tried the T/saw ones...lasted upto 5 times longer..and they were slightly cheaper.....

As for shipping abroad, been doing this for years......
if the supplier wont help....just get him to print the label and then U get a courier to collect.....
cost is basically no diff (if u do ur research than the offerings of overseas mail by the Post Office...

Regarding wrong sized blades. My axminster 350 data plate on blade size is wrong. I know others are (were?) as well. The first ones I ordered from tufsaws didnt fit, so I measured very carefully and told Ian EXACTLY how long to make my blades, to nearest 2 mm. Just one of several reasons I buy from him, even though I was the first to fall foul of his "no exports" ban as early as last year. I still get them sent to my relatives in the UK and they bring them across for me.
I can get blades made here, although not as thin as tuffsaws do, but the quality is not the same.

The blades I got were not the size that I ordered, I don't recall how far out it was but it was noticeable when coiled. No problem getting them replaced, I gave the blades away as they were a suitable size for a bigger machine so at least they didn't go to waste. I had that happen on two separate orders, that doesn't sound a lot but I only ordered from Tuffsaws maybe 6 or 7 times in total. Again, I am not trying to slag Ian off, there were no complaints about replacing them, but it was something to note if you are ordering on a just in time basis (I don't). Never had a size issue with Axi and they are cheaper for a better blade so it's a no brainer on my part.

I use Tuff saw blades for wood and metal.....
the metal ones have a cobalt content 5% ??? man they cut well and last for ages.....I'm always cutting 10inch x 10mm plate and round solid stock upto 75mm.....
Stuff the price difference, if u DON"T support the little guy they disapear to EVERYONES loss......
then the big guy's just shaft u as they always do when they control the market....
the blades fom M/Mart who I first bought from did quite well till I tried the T/saw ones...lasted upto 5 times longer..and they were slightly cheaper.....

As for shipping abroad, been doing this for years......
if the supplier wont help....just get him to print the label and then U get a courier to collect.....
cost is basically no diff (if u do ur research than the offerings of overseas mail by the Post Office...
The problem with that idea is that from january the UK will not allow goods to cross international borders without a customs declaration, and the receiving country will be well within its rights to add import duty and local taxes.
Every parcel that comes into Cyprus from a non EU country WILL be opened and inspected, and taxes charged accordingly.

If it was only the small price difference I would agree with you and I would buy Tuffsaws rather than axminster (up to a point of course on price difference). However the axminster GT blade is cheaper and superior and shipped for free.

My bandsaw is a small/medium two wheeler. Like many hobby bandsaws it has trouble tensioning the thicker gauge blades. When Ian advised me to try a 5/8 th's fastcut vari I was sceptical thinking it would be too heavy for my bandsaw. I was wrong. It actually cuts better than an Axminster 3/8 th's. That's probably because it's a thinner gauge and that is all important for the smaller machines. He even made me some 88" hobby gauge (very thin) blades that work wonderfully on my machine. It was his advice that transformed my machine.

I can't seem to find blades sized for the Hammer N4400 (3950mm). I know that TuffSaw will make to measure. I cannot find this size on the Axi website

Latest posts

Back