Alternative to dovetail on drawer box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scholar":379umkr3 said:
In the flesh it is an interesting contemporary design.

Went to see it after work (The Fitzwilliam is very conveniently situated at a walking distance of approximately one bowl of pipe tobbaco from the university's Chemistry Dept)... There is a lot more to it up close and personal Tha meets the eye in photographs...

The curator was quite bemused at me crouching down to look closely at how it was put together, and carefully examining various other furniture exhibits, whilst oblivious to the paintings and such.

However, Whilst I now fully appreciate the artistry of its creation, I think I liked subjectively it the least of all the exhibits in the 20th century British Gallery, there were two tables by the same maker which made clever use of gentle fluting to create very striking visual appeal, and an early arts and crafts chest of drawers which used through mortices and combined box-dovetail joints to give it a sense of form and regularity reminiscent of art deco architecture, very unusual blend of design.

I had a look at their 17th century French stuff too, taking sketches for my queen Anne table project... I Really can't thank you enough for mentioning the museum... I suspect I and my sketchpad will be making several more lunchtime trips to look at their collection in time to come.

Jelly":pzp7r7eg said:
scholar":pzp7r7eg said:
In the flesh it is an interesting contemporary design.

Went to see it after work (The Fitzwilliam is very conveniently situated at a walking distance of approximately one bowl of pipe tobbaco from the university's Chemistry Dept)... There is a lot more to it up close and personal Tha meets the eye in photographs...

The curator was quite bemused at me crouching down to look closely at how it was put together, and carefully examining various other furniture exhibits, whilst oblivious to the paintings and such.

However, Whilst I now fully appreciate the artistry of its creation, I think I liked subjectively it the least of all the exhibits in the 20th century British Gallery, there were two tables by the same maker which made clever use of gentle fluting to create very striking visual appeal, and an early arts and crafts chest of drawers which used through mortices and combined box-dovetail joints to give it a sense of form and regularity reminiscent of art deco architecture, very unusual blend of design.

I had a look at their 17th century French stuff too, taking sketches for my queen Anne table project... I Really can't thank you enough for mentioning the museum... I suspect I and my sketchpad will be making several more lunchtime trips to look at their collection in time to come.

The arts & crafts stuff would be my favourites too. The Fitzwilliam Museum is an amazing place I think and very easy to pop into if you are in Cambridge. There is a very varied range of furniture (although it is the ceramics collection that is unbelievable); I think the reason the Wales & Wales piece stuck in my mind was that it was so different to what was around it - I don't disagree with your comments. Interesting that the piece was so distinctive that a quite different piece just using some similar materials shown on the W&W website instantly brought to my mind the museum piece.

Anyway, thanks for the report back and glad you had a nice day.

(sorry that none of this has much to do with the original topic...)

Cheers

I remembered (whilst drinking bitter and reading a book by Peter Korn in my hotel) that the Maker of the fluted furniture I mentioned was Alan Peters, of the same parish as Custard*...

*that is, trained by the Edward Barnsley workshop

Back