Aloha

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarethT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm a complete newbie woodworker based in Swansea and a recent member of the Alltwen Woodturners club.

I've no wood working skills to speak of, however I thought I'd have a go, so don't be surprised should I ask any stupid or ridiculous questions in the very near future. :)

My eventual plan is to make my own furniture, including kitchen table and sideboards.

With this in mind, any advice on where to begin? What technique should be the first thing I learn beyond Norms safety rules?

I look forward to chatting to you all at some point.

Thanks in advance

Gareth T

Hi Gareth and welcome, sorry cant help much with woody things I'm hopeless. If you need help with old woodworking machinery I no a little

mark

hi gareth im local to you in neath what about your basic tools and learning to use and sharpen them ?

Hi

Thanks for the welcome

My basic tools consist of 2 routers (Not a clue how to use them), a few chisels, a small saw, and some clamps.

I did manage to purchase a small cheap bandsaw and small tablesaw, at £30 each, I thought they might do to start :)

My shed is a small 3m x 2m, which is still filled with stuff, even after a clear out :(

I thought I might have a go at making some boxes, practicing using the chisels & saws.

Or should I start with something basic?

@Williams - Thanks for the suggestion dude, appreciate it :)

Hi Gareth im the same as you iv,e joined the forum hoping to learn a few things also iv,e got a band saw also 2 routers and live up the valley a little village called Cwmgwrach .I only wish there was some where local for me to go and learn a few trick,s of the trade ect free of charge as im not working
Mock

Aye I agree, I found a part time course in Fforestfach, unfortunately I can't affort to join it atm.

I think it's free if you aren't working.

Maybe we should arrange a meet up at some point. :)

Thanks for the offer Ian, I will definitely be in touch :)

Back