Ally Pally

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Went along to the Get Woodworking show at Ally Pally today. I thought it was very good and had built on the improvements of last year.

There were some good demonstrations and workshops. I went along to the presentation by David Savage of his forthcoming book, "Furniture with Soul". It was nice to chat to David and some of the people from his workshop.

There were plenty of quality exhibitors covering both hand tools and power tools/machinery.

Overall a good show - long may it continue.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul, that's good to hear. From what I've heard about past shows (if it's the same one) the events at AP haven't really been up to par, so it's nice to hear that this one was OK - Rob

I went too, and would agree that it is head and shoulders above what it had become a couple of years ago. It has however evolved I feel. Way back it used to be a great place to buy tools, with multiple vendors competing on price so that you could grab a bargain. Not so today, where say you want to buy a Tormek, there is one place to get it....and not discounted. What has come along massively however is the demonstrations and talks. To me they used to be a bit of a distraction, but now have become central to the event. There are "big names" brought in like Richard Raffan and Rob Cosman, plus UK exponents like David Charlesworth and David Savage, Phil Edwards and Nick Gibbs, as well as acres of turners. There was a vibrant atmosphere, and certainly if you want a bit of a boost to your enthusiasm after a chat with fellow enthusiasts, I reckon it's not a bad day out!

Cheers
Graeme

GraemeD":3csyldp3 said:
There are "big names" brought in like Richard Raffan and Rob Cosman, plus UK exponents like David Charlesworth and David Savage, Phil Edwards and Nick Gibbs, as well as acres of turners. There was a vibrant atmosphere, and certainly if you want a bit of a boost to your enthusiasm after a chat with fellow enthusiasts, I reckon it's not a bad day out!

Cheers
Graeme
Good to hear that the 'old guard' were there and David Savage...I wonder if he'll be coming to any more shows and events? The spinny side always seems to be well represented wherever you go - Rob

Back