Ally Pally tomorrow (Saturday)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chipp71970":29ct4u6h said:
Did you see the Festool stand and was it any good?

They had quite a large stand but I didn't look - can't really afford their stuff. They only do one thing I'd like and that's the Domino and I tried that at a friend's workshop recently - very nice :)

Waka might have had a look - he seems to be into Festool :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Had a good day today, after a 5am start from up North. :-({|=

Nice to meet the guys and cheers to Waka for the advice on Bandsaw. Talked me out of getting the Hammer N4400 and rather to go for the Axminster 4300, therefore saving me some cash for other goodies. :wink:

Just putting my order together now (4300 B/S, 106P/T, dust extractor and LV LA Block) to call Axminster on Monday and see how much they are going to knock off for me (thanks again Waka, will give your haggling technique a go on the phone).

Cheers again

Mark

PS Not happy with that picture of me!! :oops: I look particularly over agressive on that one.

paul chapman wrote:
On the Good Woodworking stand, Andy King was giving a great demonstration of saw sharpening
Well I wouldn't go that far! :shock: :wink:
They were definitely three beat up old saws, but certainly worth the effort. They belonged to Bruce Manning, one of our contributors. Worst of the bunch was one about 16-18tpi that had been sharpened backwards by Bruce's dad! I'd never seen a western style Japanese saw until then! :lol:
The lighting wasn't the best at Ally Pally for saw sharpening, so I was glad to see the back of those three and get back to honing demonstrations. (apart from the fact I always end up with a right arm that matches my head - completely hairless...) :lol:

Andy

Paul Chapman":14lfnrv5 said:
Spent an enjoyable few hours at Ally Pally today. The best part, of course, is meeting up with friends. First I saw Phil Edwards and Waka, then along came Dave S
Followed very quickly by Paul's disappearance:

I resisted all Waka's offers to help me spend my money and went for a look around instead.
Don't worry - I won't take it personally ;)

I too managed to resist Waka's encouragement to spend, largely because I didn't have anything to spend! Just as well since we looked at the Bessey stand together!

Overall a nice time, despite the ever-dwindling number of exhibitors.
and visitors, I feel.

Nice to meet everyone, hope to do it again :)

Dave

Dave S":1ngv5rf2 said:
Paul Chapman":1ngv5rf2 said:
Spent an enjoyable few hours at Ally Pally today. The best part, of course, is meeting up with friends. First I saw Phil Edwards and Waka, then along came Dave S
Followed very quickly by Paul's disappearance:

Well someone had to go and photograph Andy working his magic on those saws....... :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

TrimTheKing":3lrjza86 said:
Nice to meet the guys and cheers to Waka for the advice on Bandsaw. Talked me out of getting the Hammer N4400 and rather to go for the Axminster 4300

Thinking about the Hammer myself - do you mind expanding why the Axminster instead?

Thanks

That show was quite the worst I have encountered and I have been going since the Horticultural Hall days. Specifically, there were no stands selling the general run of quality hand tools, the professional accessories power tool stands were a token effort and large areas were devoted to the market trader dross goods.

Am I the only one to be fed up with plane demonstrators vying to prove their plane can take a shaving you can read through? The point of most planes is to remove wood. At the Clico demo I asked the bloke to demonstrate the multi-plane, he showed me a bit of wood already grooved. I have one and they are s***s to set up.

The lack of trade support resulted in a wide range of craft demos, but we know that had stands sold those people would not have got a look in. I went down to Axminster in Kent yesterday and spent my money there!

Back