Ally Pally - Get Woodworking Live

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
It is almost that time again - who's going?

(hammer) :tool: :tool: :tool: :tool: :tool: :tool: (hammer)

I will be there with my Dad (a newbie turner) on the Friday.

I wonder if the traditional meet at Chez Terry at 12:00 is on the cards?

Simon

wardroom":1312h0qg said:
Friday for me, got a few pennies burning a holein me pocket, who would be the best seller for a new tool rest.
Have a look at the Robert Sorby modular toolrests. They're pretty good (and very hard) round bars which is fine unless you want/need a toolrest that has an edge very very close to your work.
I tend to mainly use the standard toolrests supplied with my lathe, but for hollowing then I use the Sorby rest.

I have been disappointed with the show in the last few years

Every year it seems to get smaller

Only filled half the main hall last time I went :?

Junk cheepo tool stalls

Still might go if I am free ,may wait till someone reports on how entertaining the show is

Fogot to mention

Does anyone still have the UKWorkshop badges ?

I have mine If I can find it :oops:

May help ti ID other forum members :mrgreen:

I will be there on friday and saturday ,I will be on Andy Harrison,s stand

How did i miss this thanks svb for posting in my post.

Haha yep me and my boss are going he is really excited as he hasnt been for a number off years

(homer) doh
Well were all set up and raring to go hope to see some of you over the next couple of days
If you can't see us here come and see us at The Kent show

Didnt really thinkk it was that great if im honest only money i spent was on food as ashley isle didnt have any mk2 chisels and classic tools sold the last 2 3/8 plane blade to my boss and im amazed they didnt have more stock i aslo didnt like the robert sorby chisels as they look unfinished and too thick

tools arnt what they used to be

I'll be there on Saturday, taking the missus too as she'll be keeping a watchful eye on my wallet!

I'm after a lathe upgrade so this'll be a good opportunity to see a few in the flesh, shame Toolpost won't be there with their Wivamacs though.

Hi all,

I went on the Friday with my Dad who is just getting into turning and both of us came away having enjoyed the day but feeling it was a show of two halves.

On a positive note, the demos were very good (we watched Richard Raffen and Les Thorne both in full) and we both picked something up from both of them.

On a less good note we thought the trade stands were quite weak with the exception of Ashley Isles and Chestnut that had all the stuff we wanted and the two gents there + Terry at Chestnut are a pleasure to deal with. One particular disappointment was Craft Supplies that with the exception of some pen kits and strips of veneer had almost nothing from their range devoting most of their stand space to advertising craft holidays in France. The two 'car boot' tool stands had the usual mix of far eastern stuff but fine for one off jobs and cheap enough.

GMC publications (specifically wood turning magazine and the range of excellent books they publish) was no where to be seen nor were HT or Crown tools leaving the floor to Sorby and AI.

So, overall 6 / 10 I think. I would go back as I really enjoyed the demos but the trade stands were a real let down. Not sure why so few 'quality stands' - stand price / internet competition or buying trend / location?

BRgds

Simon

The reason the starnard of trade stand sounded so weak is due to the colossal cost of setting up a stand at these kinds of show. By the time you have taken the cost of the stand, wages, fuel and accommodation etc you are into thousands of pounds and most of the punters will be lookers rather than spenders so it is hardly worth it these days. Most traders will have online shops which will generate far more business than doing shows and at a fraction of the cost.

Well I went on Saturday and found a lot of interest plus the opportunity to get my hands on things and talk to the suppliers.

My main objective was to have a look at the Nova DVR and Record Maxi 1 in the flesh, but I came away having ordered a Killinger KM1400SE from Phil Irons instead!

It's superbly engineered and has everything I want included in a compact footprint which means I can still use my garage for its main purpose which is working on my car.

My wife bought some ratchet secateurs from Jardin de France and got to chat up the French boys there so she was happy too. :lol:

1256605527_zz_KM_1400_m.Fuesse_u.Aussendreh_u.Rahm.jpg

Back