Allen screw removal from chuck jaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyPixie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Super Nova chuck and one of the removable jaws is now stuck because an Allen screw has become stripped. The key just stripped the socket circular and there's no way to get the screw out. Can anyone suggest a solution.
I hope someone's experience can get me back in action.
Fingers crossed.
Steve

If the socket head screw is soft enough that the head socket has stripped then try drilling the head off down to the stud thread.
This should allow you to lift the accessory jaw off and then you can grip the stud to remove it.

... exactly the same thing happened to me today. Unfortunately the Dremel (or cheap copy thereof) died over Christmas, so now have a reason to get a (proper) replacement.

CHJ":33q8rmmo said:
If the socket head screw is soft enough that the head socket has stripped then try drilling the head off down to the stud thread.
This should allow you to lift the accessory jaw off and then you can grip the stud to remove it.

+1 most times when you have drilled the head off the screw it will just undo with the fingers watch out for sharp edges

This happened to me a few times before I upgraded my screws to stainless steel. I think the damp atmosphere in my shed may have been a contributing factor, or over-tightening the mild steel screws supplied with the chuck. I found the easiest way to get them out was to use a slightly larger torx screwdriver bit than the allen head size, hammer the torx bit in, then use a ratchet to remove the screw.

The problem stopped when I upgraded to stainless steel screws.

Many thanks for all the useful replies!

I shall seek out screw extractors after I've attempted the Dremel-slot trick.

Cheers

Steve

HappyPixie":3dbrseav said:
Many thanks for all the useful replies!

I shall seek out screw extractors after I've attempted the Dremel-slot trick.

Cheers

Steve

Be aware to use a screw extractor you are more than likely going to have to drill a deeper hole in the existing bolt, screw extractors small enough diameter are not common and need to be of good quality if they are going to work in your situation, just my opinion but think before you spend money on a purchase.
If you have to drill you may just as well drill or 'dremel' the head off.

You could look for a left hand twist drill bit, the size of the stripped screw. The screw might come out when you start drilling with it and if it doesn't, when the head pops off you can remove the screw as suggested earlier with a small pair of Vice-Grips. A regular righthand twist bit applies tightening forces as it makes the hole, where the lefty does the reverse.

Pete

Also happened to me and as CHJ says, drill off the head and remove the jaw the rest of the screw can then be extricated with some grips. When replacing the jaws gently tighten the new Allen screws and then undo a couple of degrees, this will ensure the same thing does not happen again.

Andy

Got exactly the same problem myself, was quite shocked at how easily they rounded off.
My plan is to start by driving a torx bit into the rounded hole and see if I can get that to grip, if it works it'll be quicker and less faffing than drilling it out, if it doesn't work then no harm done (apart from a knackered torx bit)
Can anyone with a better knowledge of these things put up a link to a good quality replacement, had a look at the link above and really didn't know what to search for.

You need to post up what size thread you're looking for, otherwise it is impossible to post a direct link. I just got some 10.9 M6 countersunk 12mm hex drive screws from the link chipmunk put up, they will fit my patriot chuck no problem.

A slight digression but I use a small electric screwdriver to change out my chuck jaws. Its quicker and you don't overload the screw hence no rounding of the head by swinging on the allen key - which I am sure we all have a tendency to do.

Brian

finneyb":1unsc12y said:
A slight digression but I use a small electric screwdriver to change out my chuck jaws. Its quicker and you don't overload the screw hence no rounding of the head by swinging on the allen key - which I am sure we all have a tendency to do.

Brian

I used a makita impact driver, and they rounded off. Still surprised at how delicate they are, Ive used the impact driver on many different fixings would have expected them to hold up better than they did.

bobh7":21xwyzsy said:
finneyb":21xwyzsy said:

Brian

I used a makita impact driver, and they rounded off. Still surprised at how delicate they are, Ive used the impact driver on many different fixings would have expected them to hold up better than they did.

:shock: Why ? :lol:

Cheers, Paul

paulm":h6o6fouo said:
bobh7":h6o6fouo said:
finneyb":h6o6fouo said:

Brian

:shock: Why ? :lol:

Cheers, Paul
Indeed this was a question I asked myself after I'd knackered the head :D

Back