Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Alcohol proof finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

fletty100

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a problem with a project I am working on at the moment. I have made a brides cog for a wedding which is basically a wooden bucket with two handles that gets filled with a heated alcohol mixture for the wedding reception. Good for getting the party started. It’s made from beech and I have stained it with black and white wood stain. I need a finish that is both water and alcohol proof and won’t dicolour the white stain. I usually use yacht varnish on my cogs but with this one having the stain on it the varnish discolours the white stain. Any ideas. Cheers

Attachments

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
That's weird seeing the same universal strapping holding that together as I used this afternoon to strap the timber frame of my potting shed down to the plinth!

This bucket is only going to be used once? Does it really need a finish at all?

fletty100

Reaction score
Yip. It is universal strapping. It’s a star wars themed wedding hence the style of the cog. The cog may be used more than once so it needs to be sealed. I use linseed oil on the inside as it’s bare unstained wood, it’s just the outside that’s the problem.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say oil based yacht varnish is the best bet, I doubt anyone will care too much about the colour, especially once they're drunk! I'd go with a wipe on version that's thinned out but lots of layers over thick treackly varnish.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
Bar top lacquer should be suitable.