Alcohol proof finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletty100

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a problem with a project I am working on at the moment. I have made a brides cog for a wedding which is basically a wooden bucket with two handles that gets filled with a heated alcohol mixture for the wedding reception. Good for getting the party started. It’s made from beech and I have stained it with black and white wood stain. I need a finish that is both water and alcohol proof and won’t dicolour the white stain. I usually use yacht varnish on my cogs but with this one having the stain on it the varnish discolours the white stain. Any ideas. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 415
That's weird seeing the same universal strapping holding that together as I used this afternoon to strap the timber frame of my potting shed down to the plinth!

This bucket is only going to be used once? Does it really need a finish at all?

Yip. It is universal strapping. It’s a star wars themed wedding hence the style of the cog. The cog may be used more than once so it needs to be sealed. I use linseed oil on the inside as it’s bare unstained wood, it’s just the outside that’s the problem.

I'd say oil based yacht varnish is the best bet, I doubt anyone will care too much about the colour, especially once they're drunk! I'd go with a wipe on version that's thinned out but lots of layers over thick treackly varnish.

Latest posts

Back