Airtight door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_belgium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for information on how to make a 100% airtight interior door. I was thinking of buying the door itself and then custom making a doorframe for it with preferably a double seal all the way around. I found the aquamac seal system after some googling and was wondering if there are other maybe better seal systems available?

I have found some suppliers but they charge up to 2000 euros per door :shock: :shock: .

Construction on our new house is currently under way and the complete building is meant to be airtight (or as airtight as possible) for insulation/ heat loss purpose. The basement and garage however are not built airtight so therefore I need 2 airtight doors to seal the rest of the house.

The airtightness is tested by doing a 'blowerdoortest' which is basically installing a big fan in one of the exterior doors and then putting 50pa pressure on the entire building, then the computer controlled fan calculates how much volume of air is lost.

Thanks in advance, Christof.

From experience, they cover/tape all your extractor vents for the test, which seems to defeat the object as they aren't airtight in use.

Can't you just tape those doors for the test?

I'm a true believer in the airtight building method :D :D so no taping of anything lol. Ventilation will be trough a fully enclosed system, where the outgoing air passes the incoming air through a heat exchanger.

I already had a preliminary blowerdoortest performed halfway through construction to see if I made any mistakes that I can still fix before plastering and the result was really good, but for this I had taped up the door openings where I need the airtight doors for. I want to keep this good result as in Belgium when you have this good a result you pay less property tax for 5 years, on top of saving on heating costs this on it's own is a good motivation for the airtight method of building.

Systeem-d-ventilatie.jpg

I would think a 44mm flush firedoor would be ideal.

You need a frame which is rebated on all 4 sides so aquamac can fit all the way round.

Aquamac is best in the door stop or rebate edge so it seals against the facd of the door, that way you wont need to cut around hjnges.

Pay attention to the seals where they meet at the corners

Or use magnetic door seals for the perimeter and a drop seal for the bottom.

Back