afromsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsworth

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use this wood? I found a reclaimed beam on ebay close by and wondering if it is worth buying.

Quite nice stuff to work with, hard, moderately interlocked (but not difficult to plane) takes a good finish...often used as a substitute for teak - Rob

They used to call it "Poor Man Teak", then it became more expensive.
It is harder than Teak and finishes really well. At one time it was the prefered wood for bank work.

Made a cabinet from it recently.
I made the top from solid planks and I have to say you have to be careful planing up to prevent bits ripping from the surface, or you will be in for a lot of sanding, but looks good now that it has matured a little.
Because it is a dense wood you can get an excellent finish on endgrain.
I used an oil finish, then wax......but that's because that was all I had in the shop at the time.

Oil or wax is about all you'd get to stay on it in my experience Dick.

Roy.

Thanks for the replies. I think i'll pass on the beam for sale. Sounds like he's asking to much. starting bid is £150 for 5 M X 200 mm X 300mm.

I know DavidC has a work bench with an Afromosia top. Very hard, and apparently extremely abrasive, meaning frequent sharpenings of the plane blade.

That size beam would make a good size work bench (ripped and joined to provide a 4 inch thick slab).

I notice from the eBay listing that he says he has two. But I am unclear if the price is for two or just one. I'd also question how he knows it is afromosia, especially as he can't even spell it. As for the price, if it is reasonably dry / defect free, then 14 quid per cubic ft doesn't sound that expensive. (based on it only being 1 beam)

Now these would make some good beams (the wood not the kids):
http://www.abc.net.au/news/photos/2007/ ... 900461.htm

Hi,

I thought DavidC bench top was Doussie, thats what it says in his book, has he another?

Pete

if it is reasonably dry / defect free, then 14 quid per cubic ft doesn't sound that expensive.

I think "if" about sums it up.

Just looking at the picture and the yard it is in would suggest he doesn't care about any of the concerns we would have about the wood.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140384130471&fromMakeTrack=true

If anyone is interested i can go have a look at it for them. I never thought about a work bench. I also e-mailed him to see if it was for both beams. I'll report back.

Racers":3nmwl8ip said:
I thought DavidC bench top was Doussie, thats what it says in his book, has he another?

Last time I was there he had six. One of them is Aformosia.

Latest posts

Back