Afromosia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
I have been offered a quantity of afromosia (old workbench tops I think), in the region of 2-3"x9"x6-8'.
Although I am familliar with the name, I am not familliar with the wood itself. I am looking for suggestions as to what this wood may be suitable for?
So, can anyone suggest anything?

Cheers,
Adam

IMHO its a sort of cross between mahogany and teak - can be very difficult interlocked grain but looks lovely when polished up. I made a Victorian Drum table out of an old table of aformosia and it the finish is fab. I would snap it up
Good luck

A good material for yacht building used on the handrails also the decking in some cases.

We had very nice afromosia dining furniture when I was a kid in the 60s. Not sure what happened to them. I think my Dad called it Rhodesian Teak. Close grain, lovely rich reddish colour. Easy to work with and get a nice finish.

If you can store it, I'd take it in your shoes.

Steve

Thanks for the replies - would I be correct in thinking that it has simillar properties to teak also? (Although I have no interest in building a yacht - well, no time or space at any rate!)
As I dont think it will cost me more than the diesel to pick it up, I reckon I would be daft not to snap it up.

Cheers,
Adam

Its way harder than teak & will blunt tools. It glues well & takes a good finish. Smells nice when working it though i expect the dust is nasty, I have used a fair bit of it in the past on boats as rubbing bands etc but it does suffer from surface checking if left bare or oiled outside.

I used some to repair some dinning chairs and its nice to work with. Expensive to buy and not that easy to get hold of so get it while its there.

A nice wood .....take it. Quite heavy but with 3" you can rip that down into something special. At one time. long long ago, we used it for school science work benches and draining board worktops. A slightly cheaper alternative to teak but thats just because people didin't know how to choose their woods. 'Teak is best'....etc. You will like it when you get it. Will if not now becoing rare. Best wishes.

Back