AEG power tools, any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superunknown

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anybody had any experience with AEG tools, I have never had any before, but I saw these for £130 and thought they looked pretty good for the price.

64727.jpg

Hey there.

I have experience with AEG tools and in my honest opinion they're just a consumer product for the DIYer and not a product for joiners or professional users. Over the years, I've worked with various makes of tools from Bosch Professional, Dewalt, Makita, Perles, Hitachi and many others.

I personally recommend metabo as it's what I pride myself in. tools that won't let me down, offer high performance when working with wood and performing building and installation work. My main brands before metabo were makita and bosch professional. I moved from makita as the 1 year warranty wasn't helping me when it came to tools out of the warranty period by weeks going wrong. You name it, I had it. from jigsaws, to sanders, drills, panel saws, biscuit jointers, etc.

I made the move to bosch professional and took on tools I needed. Having put them through their paces as a joiner, 5 out of my 16 products failed within the first 6 months requiring 3 or more visits to bosch for repairs. One or two products weren't comfortable for me and I then searched for something better. I made the move to metabo and haven't looked back since.

As a blind woodworker and turner, tools for me have to feel right and work the way I do and if a tool doesn't feel right for me or cut the mustard, I'll search for a tool which suits my needs.

with the invention of Li ION batteries and Metabo's new line of cordless 18V equipment, on site work is much easier and workshop based projects are a joy.

lew

to the blindwoodworker i'm amazed at your skill to be able to use a biscuit jointer when you totally blind can you let us know how you do this

lol I love it.

Biscuit jointers are an art in them selves. My secret is two gauges. one for blade height to plate and the other for biscuit cut depth. If I am producing repeat joints, I line up all boards together, use a steel square and a wood marker (steel blade skew) so I can feel where I'm cutting or using the jointer.

depending on your jointer, you'll feel an index mark on the plate where the direct centre of the blade is. there you go. simple as a mouse and cheese.

lew

yes but if the depth stem itself is not tactile enough to give appropriate depth for me, I use my own for initial setup, then fine calibrate and have the jointer permanently set up.

bish bash bosh.

lew

I always add a little more on the biscuit sizing screw, to allow for adjusting the parts and glue-space.

Biscuit jointers? Love 'em for hurry-hurry work.

John

Thinking of moving from biscuits to dowel jointing instead. easier to handle and stronger on joints. so am thinking of the maffel doweler. the festool domino sounds good but a bit too pricy for what it is and the joints.

i've not used the mafell, but i swear by the domino in a commercial workshop - somewhat off topic now aren't we :lol

I`ve had an AEG circular saw for 15 years, Steve & it`s still going strong.

2 drills & 2 batteries for £130 has got to be worth a punt, i have the Bosch equivalent & have been very happy with them.

Cheers.

I think AEG are one of those brands that are relying on their past quality, we had a corded AEG where I used to work that was a monster, plastic felt solid in a similar way to festool and hilti, and it would tie you in knots if the bit got stuck :lol: . I went in to screwfix recently and handled a cordless AEG and it felt terrible, as did the hitachi and dewalt, to me they all feel a little brittle like toys which is a real shame.

mark270981":3ima3e1f said:
i've not used the mafell, but i swear by the domino in a commercial workshop - somewhat off topic now aren't we :lol

Not really Mark.

The Domino can be used where you don't want to make proper M&Ts. It also makes a joint that is much closer to a M&T than does the Biscuit jointer. However, I can't see where face-frames for instance, are better made with a Domino than a BJ. I know the Domino is stronger; of course it is, but the average face frame is unlikely to suffer the kind of abuse that would strain the joints. Besides which, Kreg Pocket-screws will do the same job there.

But for heavier work that is mauled about, I would think the Domino scores. That said, my Coronet Major Lathe, (which weighs about 2 cwt, (224 lbs.)) is on a bench frame that is held together with double, No. 20 biscuits. The weakest parts of the bench are the soft-tyred castors I put on it, during a moment's muddied thinking! Nothing wrong with the joints. No racking whatsoever. And even if it did start racking, I designed it so I could add bolts later. 8)

So for me, a Domino might be an extra I couldn't really justify. The jobs I would use it for, I can do quite well enough with the BJ.

But I would like one all the same! :D

John :wink:

On face frames, if you have alot of them to do, you use the trim stop, no need for marking each individual piece etc etc

pvbm_fr_ladf500_493487_z_9a.png

I think the domino is a very commercially viable bit of kit, John if you haven't used one and/or have a job to do that might involve one, just come down to my work shop (I am now on Jockey Rd) and try it out. its a lot of money and wouldn't recommend one to the hobbiest to be honest unless they had an abundance of cash.

Thanks for the input :)

On the subject of the domino, I have one of these and its paid for itself time and time again, if you are woodworking for a living I seriously recommend one.

I recently bought an AEG Corded Drill: got it for silly money (new) so wasn't expecting too much. It's been fine and the keyless chuck is very good quality and a joy to use.

Thanks Mark...
I pass by two or three times a month. I'll look out for your sign!

Superunknown..

I take your point of course, but am happy to say all I do for a living is sit at home and wait for each pension day to come around. :wink:
More's the pity. I don't think now I would work anywhere near fast enough to satisfy a gaffer or a client!
But then I worked for 50 years or so to reach the exalted position of 'pensioner'! Exulted did I say? Yeah right!

But as I said, a Domino would be a nice toy. :D

Cheers both.
John

I think I'll pop into grahams machinery in chester and check out the domino as to whether it may become part of my new rig.

lew

Back