Advise on a Router table please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Adam

asleitch":3ikc4no1 said:
ok, ok what I was trying to say, but it didn't really come across, is the Trend, seems "designed" to do rounded M/T, or it is if you are at full speed, wheras the rat, has to use square M/T unless you get very creative with rounding the tenons off!

When you use the Trend jig it's as simple either way. Now let's see, that means the Trend is easier than the Rat. :wink:

The jig operates identically in "rounded" and "square" mode.

All you do is slide out the centre pieces of the jig and reverse them for "square ends". It will add about 20 seconds to the initial set up. But if you always want "square" ends then you just leave them in the square position.

Once set, the time to make your cut is identical.

Cheers
Neil

the one thing that strikes me on the wood-rat is the fact that you cant pur really long bits of timber, say I was a joiner making a full size door - that could be tricky. :?:

Hi James just got the WoodRat disk the bloke on it says you CAN use any length of wood you just run it underneath instead of on top see if you can get hold of 1 m8 and do a review on your webby :lol: I'm looking towards a Rat now I've seen the disk. BTW is the disk same as the video? cos the disk is free and the video is £5. Any1 know..

Sorry for the delay, Stevie. Couldn't find the video or the CD Rom :oops: Anyway, found the CD at last, and from what I can remember of the video, there's not much that isn't on the CD. On the other hand you might miss some of the detail in the tiny pic on the CD, but that's up to you. Personally I'd save my £5. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi All

As this has turned into a should I/Shouldn't I get a Rat thread, I thought I'd better ask another question.

What is the width limitation on a workpiece that can be handled?

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

Depends what you want to do. The limit for the clamps is 30" I think (better check that one on their site) but if you want to profile an edge, mortise a rail or whathaveyou, the only limit is the length of your wall. Sounds like you need to ask for a CD Rom... (Whoops, where did that slope come from? :shock: ) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

30" using the power feed, although I reckon you could do something clever, and without the power feed, have unlimited width, but as I never made anything as wide as that, it's not something I have actually tried.

I think if you made 2 x "J" sections whre the bottom of the 'J' supported the bottom of the workpiece, and it rested against the vertical part of the J, then you could could feed through stuff any lenght - and least that was the technique I was thinking I'd use - should it ever come up, further more, if you put nice roller bearings, or some slippery stuff on the bottom, it would be really easy to slide stuff through, - you could do doors and all sort of stuff. Making a "J" section would be a 10 minute job, anyone else had this come up?

Ahh ALF's answer is better, for smaller stuff, you have unlimited feed, like a router table, I was thinking if you wanted to do something like a door :shock: vertically, but on it's side. - then my patented "J" sections would be very useful :p

Adam

Neil, have we converted you :roll: , or are you fishing for things it can't do :cry:

A_L

and you can't fit a dado blade to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And its not cast iron :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hi Alf and Adam

I didn't want to interrupt you both as you were obviously on a roll. :lol:

Thank you for the information, but you still have a long way to go before you convert me. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

what do you want to do to a 6ft 6inch x2ft 6inch door ?? :shock:

any dfps please

frank

>Thank you for the information, but you still have a long way to go before you convert me.

So you were just fishing? Or taking tentative steps towards a "new" slope? :eek:

Adam

Back