Advise Needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy _Builder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello ,i'm new to this site and to useing a Band Saw and i would like to know what is the best type of Band Saw blade for ripping red wood, I need to rip some 5inch timber into 1 inch boards.
I have an Electra Bekum saw it can take blades upto 1 inch wide , the blade lenth is around 135inch, advise of any sort would be welcome....CB

you need a skip tooth blade.

not to course as the power of the saw will not cope

Hi Cowboy and welcome to the forum.

I take it you have some railway sleepers or structural timbers to convert? 5" this is quite a plank.

Just because a wheel can take a 1" blade it does not mean that the machine can tension a 1" blade. Personally I would be surprised if an EB machine could really take and tension a 1" blade in the real world. 1/2" Yes, maybe even 3/4". But an inch is optimistic IMHO.

The good news is that you can do a lot with a 1/2 or 3/4" blade.

The biggest factor is the quality of the blade. People here rave about Dure Edge, Hamilton Edge and Dragon Saw blades. Ian from Dragon is a member here. Personally I have no experience but all the reports of him are good. I hear that Dure Edge are retiring, which is a great shame.

If you are new to using a bandsaw, then get Duginski's book, it is money well spent.

Cheers
Steve

I have a bandsaw that my Farther gave to me, a woodwise and is big and heavy. It's rated to take a 1 1/4 inch and although I sure it will I would think that it would struggle, where an inch blade (one down from max would be fine. As one comment mentioned Dragon saws I would not hesitate to order again and again. =D> Top marks to them. =D>

One customer tells one, but one bad customer tells all.

Another vote for Dragon Saws! :wink: You're probably looking for a 3tpi skip-tooth pattern with a 5" depth of cut. When you speak to them, let Ian know you're a member of this forum and he'll sort you out with what you need. :)

Hi Cowboy

Yet another vote for Dragon Saws, ask for Ian John he is one of the nicest chaps I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with he is sorting out problems I'm having at the moment and I can't fault him at all...

In fact I vote Ian for prime minister who says "I" :wink:

Back