Advice sought on building a cheap wooden storage shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Established Member
Reaction score
After recent personal problems I am trying to move forwards and get back to work. I would like to build a wooden (or any other cheap material) wooden shed for the corner of my garden to store my aluminium scaffold towers, ladders and sheet materials.

Am i better off buying a kit shed or should I just buy panels/timber and make one myself. I'd probably find it better to design one myself as I'd need some wide opening for the scaffold towers but just wondered what would be cheaper as I do not want to spend too much on it.

I'd need to sort out a base too as the ground is very soft, the last shed we had built at our house was in 1990 and I have seen newer methods for bases, just wondered if there is anything I need to consider there too?

Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you guys

Build it yourself would be my advice. When you see the materials used in most sheds its surprising they can support there own weight.

For a base I would pour it; probably similar cost to most other methods and easily the most practical which in itself will add substance to the overall structure.

First you need a frame. I use 2x3 cls for 6' x 8' sheds. Set it out with an eye to whatever your using to clad or insulate the shed.

If you don't care about appearances too much why not use exterior grade ply? joins will be the problem but if it was 8' tall or less horizontal joins would be avoided.

Or use 6" sarking boards horizontally but overlap each board by 1" so it doesn't matter if it shrinks, worked ok on my cheap and cheerful hen house.

I usually use red pine 89mm x 12mm tongue and groove vertically when I need it to look good but both my suggestions would be cheaper and work as well.

Yes concrete for base, you will need a helper but it's the way to go.

Do make sure you get treated timber and ensure the sheet (ply, OSB, whatever) is moisture resistant. If your buying from one source, haggle then haggle some more.

Whatever way you decide to build your shed I would recommend you use felt shingles for the roof. They are more expensive than a roll of felt but much easier to fit, look better and will last at least three times as long.

A poured concrete base is certainly one option, but remember that you'll need a damp proof membrane if stuff in the finished shed is to be kept dry.

An alternative is a wooden base supported on block pillars, which I chose in this thread as I had to contend with sloping ground as well. The supporting pillars are just based on a concrete base in the bottom of a shallow pit, with care taken to ensure that the corners were level. Whilst not exactly "cheap", don't run away with the idea that a concrete base will be cheap either if it is done properly, particularly if you have soft ground to overcome. .

RogerM":37l7q35a said:
A poured concrete base is certainly one option, but remember that you'll need a damp proof membrane if stuff in the finished shed is to be kept dry.

An alternative is a wooden base supported on block pillars, which I chose in this thread as I had to contend with sloping ground as well. The supporting pillars are just based on a concrete base in the bottom of a shallow pit, with care taken to ensure that the corners were level. Whilst not exactly "cheap", don't run away with the idea that a concrete base will be cheap either if it is done properly, particularly if you have soft ground to overcome. .

+1 If it is a shed you are building not a workshop I'd seriously think about Roger's post. I am building my workshop at the moment and am getting close to being in a position to have the concrete base poured, it has been a long and phyically demanding process to get to this stage.

Terry.

Back