Advice requested for a CD presentation box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
In December our youngest son turns 13, and as a keepsake I have burned a CD for him.
I would like to give it to him in a wooden presentation box, but am struggling for ideas as to a design for this.
Presumably it will involve some lathe work to turn a recess to house the CD, but how will the lid work as it will be too thin for screws to hold any hinges.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, as a plastic case won't have the same appeal.

Malc :D

Does it really need hinges, these dont
mondrian_box.jpg

You could make it like a book with a leather binding?

Thanks for the replies, they have given me food for thought.
If I ever work out how to upload photos, I will show you the finished article.

Malc :D

There's also the piano hinge too. Don't need a lathe to cut circular holes either, routers, drills and coping saws can do the job as well

how about a sleeve type design ? would effectively be two boxes.
a very thin one, which would open in two parts, no hinges, (two completely separate plates, with a recess in the middle for the CD)
and an outer sleeve/box, in which the first box would slide. you could have brass inserts for the corners, so that the sliding action is smoother..

alternatively, a jewel case is only 5p or so.
:wink:

These hinges are good, I use them for small boxes, cigar / pen boxes etc.
They require a 4mm hole then push fit using a little super glue.
DSCN1905.jpg

West Timber in Midhurst West Sussex sell them. Or If you want seing it's your lads birthday I post you two FOC

My 2p worth,

How about two circular wooden discs with a guide peg in the middle going through the top disc. Similar to the CD stacks you can buy. Can be turned or made free hand. You can stack a few CD's or just a single one.

Regards
Jock

The Shark":1uh16ulj said:
Presumably it will involve some lathe work to turn a recess to house the CD,

Fretsawing (power or hand) a circle in (e.g.) 4mm ply as an insert would also serve.

BugBear

Back