Advice on workshop Shed 20x10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qasim

Reaction score
Hello All

i have been lurking on the forum as a guest and I have been looking for a 20x10 workshop shed. Looking to purchases one with a wood thickness of 19mm as opposed to 13mmm, Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations of companies from past experiences.

So far I have come across the following companies.

Bewdley sheds

Malvern Timber

wyreforestsheds

If you guys have any recommendations that would be great.

Why not just build your own. It could be far stronger, last longer, more suitable to any needs you may have i.e. doors and windows where you want them, for the same money or less than a shop bought shop.

nev":2wp8nhe6 said:
Why not just build your own. It could be far stronger, last longer, more suitable to any needs you may have i.e. doors and windows where you want them, for the same money or less than a shop bought shop.

Nev am not too confident building a shed this size, I'd rather leave it to the experts, as i'll more than likely screw it up!

otter":2wp8nhe6 said:
Metres or feet?

Otter the shed is in feet

IHc1vtr+":2wp8nhe6 said:
Try Van Gemeren at Chesterfield, we bought our's from there, very well made 100% shiplap. Even got it ready in a week as we wanted a quick turn around.

thanks + - I will have a look!

Maybe a little far from you, but try Ace Sheds in Ashford, Kent. The build quality is superb, very easy to put up yourself and helpful to the extreme. Should give you food for thought, if nothing else.

otter":3ff2ukey said:
Maybe a little far from you, but try Ace Sheds in Ashford, Kent. The build quality is superb, very easy to put up yourself and helpful to the extreme. Should give you food for thought, if nothing else.

Thanks I will have a look!
transatlantic said:
I've also been looking and based on going to see some, if you can stretch to it, I'd recommend going for a log cabin with 44mm walls. It's more or less a garage then, but so much nicer!

What is your budget? The ones I've been looking at go for around £3k

My budgets around £1600 but I am willing to stretch to 2k Max if its something special, I will agree those links you posted, they look quality!

I think you are you could build it yourself. If you start with a good plan, which you can develop yourself, and just get started, you'll be surprised at how nicely it will come together. Don't look at it as building a shed. Break it into smaller jobs and do them one at a time. That will keep it from being overwhelming. I expect you would get more shed for your money because you won't be paying for the work someone else does. Maybe you'll need to have some help with some of it but that might cost you a pint or three.

Brentingby":1a6cvgew said:
I think you are you could build it yourself. If you start with a good plan, which you can develop yourself, and just get started, you'll be surprised at how nicely it will come together. Don't look at it as building a shed. Break it into smaller jobs and do them one at a time. That will keep it from being overwhelming. I expect you would get more shed for your money because you won't be paying for the work someone else does. Maybe you'll need to have some help with some of it but that might cost you a pint or three.

Would he really save that much money though? .. I'd have thought the margin on these types of things would be fairly tight. I think it only really makes sense if you absolutely know what you're doing or you need something completely custom.

Building something that large is a tall order if you're not confident.

I don't know how much he'd save but I would imagine for the same amount of money he would wind up with a better shed.

Confidence comes through doing. Nothing about building a shed is very difficult. It doesn't require the precision needed to build a piece of furniture or a jewelry box.

I've built a shed, a 16m-long sailboat and many other projects. Each was a new thing that I'd never done before. I did what I suggested and broke the projects down into small chunks that were manageable and wound up with the completed project.

Interestingly enough a 20x10 shed is my project for this year. I decided to go the build it route rather than buy it, this was mainly driven by the fact that I live in a conservation area so required planning permission and hence plans. In having to draw a shed from scratch I ended up questioning really what I wanted, this led to how to build it, what it may cost etc etc. I ended up with a pent shed design, see attached pics, on a pillar type foundation.

I used sketchup to build the shed, from the foundation to the roof. This process enabled me to work out how I would build each of the elements and to realise that it was within my capabilities. It also means I have a pretty accurate cutting list which I sent off to a local timber merchant to cost up.

My current budget for the shed is:

Pillar Foundations £100 (blocks, gravel and weed control fabric)
Timber £900 (4x2 studwork, 8x2 floor joists, 6x2 roof joists, 18mm OSB floor and roof)
Larch Cladding £600 (this can varies massively but I have a local mill (bloke with a saw) in Inverness supplying this)
EPDM Roof: £250
Windows: £300 (I am making the frames myself but they are still double glazed)
Electrics: £600 (but I need a 70m long 6mm2 supply from the consumer unit to the shed, and then a local earth spike, and signed off by a sparky)
Total: £2750

You could easily knock £750-£1000 off this by going with a lesser grade of cladding, dialing back on the window design, going for felt not EPDM on the roof, and having an easier electrics install. My plan however is to have a shell that if I want to I can insulate, dry line, heat and turn into a full garden office/room at a later date.

I plan to do a WIP on this but work so far has been limited to removing a massive compost heap and taking bags and bags of rubbish to the dump!

Fitz.
Shed Build Pent v3.jpg

Shed Frame.jpg

Attachments

• Shed Build Pent v3.jpg
    Shed Build Pent v3.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Shed Frame.jpg
    Shed Frame.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 201
If you're not confident in building your own then thats fine. But ;)
as said its not that difficult. If you can cut and fix together a few lengths of 4x2 you're 90% of the way there.

If you fancy thinking about it and giving it a go I'm sure we (UKW members) could guide you through.

The way to look at a large shed build is in 'panels', and it saves a lot of work if you work to available sheet sizes (8' x 4') or multiples/divisions of.
e.g. create an 8x4 panel.

Cut
2no. @ 4' long
3no. @ 7'8" ( 8' minus 2x thickness of timber used, lets say 4x2, so 8'- (2+2")= 7'8")

fix (screw or nail) the shorter lengths to the ends of the longer ones creating an 8x4 rectangle with a central post. now lay a sheet of OSB or Cheap ply on top and fix. This makes it rigid and square.

Voila one panel. repeat. Stand panels up and bolt or screw together. repeat.
Door and window apertures are created at the panel making stage.
Roof can be Pent (make one wall taller than the other) or Apex (make simple trusses)
'End' panels can be rectangle with triangles sat on top or created to shape, all depends on the desired shape.
Roof also made in panels.
Once its all up you then clad the outside with desired timber like log lap etc. and roof covered with desired covering.
Simples :)

Hi Quasim, I have three sheds bought from this company, http://www.tigersheds.com/garden-sheds/ a log cabin which I use as my workshop, excellent quality but over your budget, I also have a log lap shed which I store all my timber in and and ordinary shiplap garden shed. They always have a sale in late spring with about 20% off so it is worth waiting.

I bought one from http://www.tigersheds.com/. It's 16 x 10ft. I wish I could have got one bigger, but my garden and my OH wouldn't allow it. You can chose one of the buildings they have and then customise it. I opted for the heavy duty frame and thicker walls. I also opted to only have two windows to give me more wall space to attach shelves and storage. My fixed workbench is fixed to the wall under the window, and most of my tools are on wheels. My sliding mitre saw is built on a 'flap' the brings it up to the level of the workbench with space either side. When not needed it drops below the bench and a board goes over it to give me more bench space.

20150515_143302.jpg

20150515_143407.jpg

I also opted for a side edge centre double door. A friendly local electrician wired it all up for me. I wish I'd asked for more sockets though. However many you think you need; double it and then add a few more!

(hammer)

Attachments

• 20150515_143302.jpg
    20150515_143302.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20150515_143407.jpg
    20150515_143407.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 139
There is a shed show area just north (on A6) of the A46/A6 junction.
No idea what they are like.

lurker":3twhx997 said:
There is a shed show area just north (on A6) of the A46/A6 junction.
No idea what they are like.

I will take a look and see what they have to offer.

mrpercysnodgrass":3twhx997 said:
Hi Quasim, I have three sheds bought from this company, http://www.tigersheds.com/garden-sheds/ a log cabin which I use as my workshop, excellent quality but over your budget, I also have a log lap shed which I store all my timber in and and ordinary shiplap garden shed. They always have a sale in late spring with about 20% off so it is worth waiting.

Currently looking at tigersheds at the moment, did you assemble the shed yourself?

Guys not looking to really build one my self, biggest factor is time, and I don't really fancy building one myself! at the moment, too much going on!

Latest posts

Back