Advice on which lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello again....I was on here about 4 or 5 years ago struggling with everything to do with wood turning. I have an old Sealey lathe with a duplex multistar chuck. It's been a constant battle but I have managed to produce some reasonable 'rustic' work :shock: . Now its time to upgrade so I can start turning larger bowls and platters to burn designs on. A wooden canvas in other words.

So...I have been given a Fox F46-717 lathe. It's missing the on/off switch and V belt which is easy enough to replace. But it has no tool bar thingy or rest and I don't know where to get these from. It has no chuck either.

Last night I went to look at an old Coronet 3 in pristine condition. The guy want £200 for it. It comes with all the attachments, tools...everything. It looks like a solid machine.

Then today a friend offered me his P Pro 305mm Wood Lathe with all the attachments...but I feel its not a good lathe.

Can anyone help me make a decision? Fix up the Fox lathe which might work out expensive? Spend £200 on Coronet Lathe and I'm good to go? Or take P Pro lathe for nothing?

Thanks...Jane

Attachments

• unspecified`11.jpg
    unspecified`11.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,046
Can't help with choosing a lathe, but just wanted to say you've done some beautiful work - loving the detail did you pyrograph some pieces?

:D

I can't really comment a great deal but have found the record lathes to be reliable and being able to bolt down easily to a bench is nice.

Nice looking work too.

I had your choices I'd go for the Coronet 3 and not mess about fixing up the others.

Hi Stiggy....thanks for your comment. Yes, I use a pyrography machine to burn the designs on :)

Thank you Tetsuaiga. It certainly looks like a good solid machine.

RogerP....I was erring towards the Coronet but wasn't sure...so thanks for the advice.

if you have the space, the p pro might make a useful buffing machine. But I would go for the coronet. You could easily spend a bit on the fox, and have a rubbish lathe with new bits on.

Providing it's in good working order the Coronet is probably the best bet.

Latest posts

Back