Advice on Tools Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartypit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just sold my table saw, as I'm scaling down operations. I'm retaining my bandsaw, and I've got a small 1980s Black and Decker circular saw ( made in GB!)., but I'm thinking of getting some other tools to try and replace the table saw, perhaps a chop saw, or a plunge saw,I've seen a Makita rail saw in Axminster. What do people think is the best kit to get? Thanks in advance.

what are you planning to make, and from what (sheet materials or timber)?

I still have several wide oak and ash planks which I will need to rip down.maybe some sheet materials occasionally .

here is my take on it:

Your bandsaw should take care of the ripping.

A tracksaw of some sort (eg the Scheppach cs55) will do nicely for the sheet goods. If you are not doing sheet material often, then one option is to just get B and Q/whoever to cut it for you. I am wondering myself about getting the above tracksaw with a view to using it to rip wainey edged hardwood. It has the advantage of space- the timber stays still, the saw moves, and of lifting- same as before- you dont have to struggle feeding large timber through the saw.

I also sold my table saw, and I got a bandsaw. I miss it for some tasks, and havent really found anything to replace it. Particularly sizing of small components (jewellery box trays for instance), some grooving tasks, angled cuts and parting box lids. Also processing "a bit of mdf" for odd bits here and there (tracksaw could be used for that as long as the bits were big enough). I think that I am likely to end up getting another sooner rather than later. The bandsaw should probably deal with some of those tasks if i got some different blades.

A sliding compound mitre saw might be a handy addition. If you have some space, a Radial arm saw could be cheaper.

Have you thought of getting something like a Axminster ts200 with the sliding carriage and extensions. I know that it is another table saw, but it will do a bit of everything that you are wanting to do.

Latest posts

Back