advice on simple alcove cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prestondocks

Reaction score
hi,

I am about to start fitting a cupboard in a small downstairs toilet. It will go above the toilet and I want it to be fitted.

I am assuming that I dont need to build back and side panels since, the walls them selves will act as this for me. I am simply planning to build what amount to a picture frame that I will fasten to the wall to create a frame. I will then mitre 4 face baords that I will to the frame from the rear. I will scribe these face boards to match the wall.

I plan to fasten frame and panel doors using the round concelled hinges to the face boards.

Can anyone comment on my thoughts above and let me know if there is a better way of going about this project.

I will be making the project out of American Oak.

Thanks
Simon

prestondocks":55dybuwy said:
Can anyone comment on my thoughts above and let me know if there is a better way of going about this project.
I'd probably just make a conventional cupboard and hang it on two screws rather than have to hang two shelves and a frame then worry about ending up with a gap between the bottom shelf and the frame, but that's me. As to the frame I think you'd be better off making the it in the same way you'd make the door itself, i.e. two stiles connected by two rails. There are several reasons for this: it is in a consistent style with the door and will probably ook more harmonious, mitre joints are more difficult to cut and assemble well and wider mitre joints have a habit of opening up one the atmosphere starts working on them....

Scrit

I considered your advice, but in the end decided to go with building the cupboards in the alcove as I went. It has worked very well and the wife is very impressed.

I was quite easy in the end. Buy putting in a frame first, I was then able to hang shelves on battons screwed to the wall inside the frame. Then simply faced the frame and hung the doors.

I simply butt jointed the top and botton face to the sides and supported the joint at the back with short battons. This solution may not suit the perfectionist, but this was my first attempt so It has give me the confidence to do bigger things to a higher build quality in the future.

Latest posts

Back