advice on retro fit insulation to a steel frame building?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
HI Guys and indeed gals.

I am looking at moving shop into a bigger steel framed building initially size 8.8mx10m with potential for more space later. The building is steel framed rsj construction with asbestos roof on timber perlins and breeze block walls to the eaves,
The floor is concrete slab ontop of compacted foundry ash base.

My main concerns are to insulate as well as possible for minimal cost. but i want a system that is going to last and not damage the building, ie, condensation behing insulation/water under roof/above insulation.

My initial plans are to spray foam the asbestos roof and gable ends, but would the foam attached to the roof directly cause issues to the timber purlins with condensation/if there was a leak? Would it be better suited to remove the asbestos roof alltogether and use composite sheeting? Obviously more costly.

Possibly use non foil faced recticel insulation on the walls with a thin ply facing upto a certain hight. I can paint the floor and roof white or something so it looks better as i have a spray pump, so having a foam finish isnt an issue...

the floor is my main area of concern..... what are my options here, lay insulation and a floating floor ontop, leave it as it is, or build a timber sub floor with a membrane under it, insulate it, then overboard.

Alot of questions, but i want to fully understand the costs i might encounter should i go ahead.

TBH i would not spray anything onto the roof panels. Not sure what your council is like by you re asbestos removal. But even though those panels are easy enough to remove yourself and get a permit for disposal, i would still see about getting it done professionally. That will not be cheap.
I think given the size of the building, insulting won't be cheap. If it was me i would build a separate timber framed room within the building. Leaving an air gap between the new and old walls, to avoid damp issues. Then insulate the new stud walls/ ceiling. If possible lower the ceiling height to reduce heating costs. The floor i would go with your 2nd option. That to me would be stronger for any machinery installed.

If all that costs too much, then maybe divide the area into 2. Machine area. Work area. Then just build the work area where timber is stored/ items made as above, creating a warm area to work in?

+1 for all carlb40's suggestions.
There have been a lot of postings on the forum about where to put insulation, where to leave airgaps and where to make sure surfaces are moisture proof. It's relatively simple and logical, but others have explained it all much better than I can - use the search facility looking for insulation and you should get some excellent answers.

Latest posts

Back