advice on MR MDF sheet stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayman

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm starting out on wardrobes / cabinets etc. and want to use a decent grade of MR MDF. I've used CABERWOOD PRO which I buy in from the local Selco at £31 per sheet inc. VAT (18mm). I'm guessing the pro woodworkers here are buying better grade / quality sheet stock at perhaps slightly cheaper prices?

In the past, I used 22mm sheet stock from Wickes and it was...well... rubbish. Selco supply the above brand in 25mm - there is no 22mm option. Is that really a big deal for cabinetry?

Can anybody recommend suppliers in and around Birmingham who will deliver and perhaps offer a cut service?

It all depends on your buying power, I pay quite a bit less for Medite which in my opinion is a superior board but I have built up my buying power over the years.
I do probably a minimum of £800 ex vat a week on boards and therefore expect much better prices than someone who buys a couple.
I use Timbmet, I don't think they offer a cutting service anymore, free delivery on orders, think they have to be £250 plus.
If it's small orders then try and build up a relationship with a smaller business who will value your account.

doctor Bob":1xdks6jt said:
I pay quite a bit less for Medite which in my opinion is a superior board
Thanks for the quick reply - out of interest, is it the MEDITE PREMIER you're buying? Timbmets website suggests many different types (my initial projects are bedroom wardrobes)

Rayman":3ucx7rnu said:
doctor Bob":3ucx7rnu said:
I pay quite a bit less for Medite which in my opinion is a superior board
Thanks for the quick reply - out of interest, is it the MEDITE PREMIER you're buying? Timbmets website suggests many different types (my initial projects are bedroom wardrobes)

No, Medite MR.
The premier is standard MDF. We use MR for everything as it's just convenient for us but for bedrooms the premier would be fine.

We buy mediate or kronaspan but prefer the kronaspan as it seems a bit denser and finishes better. We buy in packs of 40 and pay around £18+ vat from Latham’s. Meyer also sell for a good price.

I've used medite mr also another brand that's got brown faces with a green band in the middle. It's all better than normal stuff. But the key is finishing the edges. I've found mr mdf gives me flu like symptoms if I cut alot. Also as all mdf it's fiendishley dusty. The dust seems to come off in waves! It's stupid heavy to
I much prefer a decent grade of ply.i find in a small workshop it's much much better to work with. It takes glue and screws. My current favourite is metsawood spruce ply from the big b and qs. Blockboard is even better btw but tricky to source

It used to be 25 a sheet but it's gone up a bit. It's 18mm and 12mm. I prefer it for carcases, shelves 12mm for backs. So if I was making an 800 open front cube say I'd make top and bottom 18mm then 12mm screwed ( into the 18)for both sides and 12mm stapled on the back all with glue. It's absolutely Rock solid and also light. Much better for pinning face frames on to. In some ways its easier to get a finished as well. I use a fine surface filler.let it set properly hit it with a sander. Because the board isn't quite as glassy it seems to blend better. I like cover stain as a primer as it fills the sanding scratches and can be sanded back ok. What it can't do is make shaker doors but I think tulipwood with an mdf 9 mm panel is better

mbartlett99":38r51v63 said:
Does Timbnet Borehamwood still stock a bit of cherry & walnut?

Timbmet Borehamwood is no longer with us, Lavers have taken over about 300yds away.

johnnyb":273u0ysq said:
I've used medite mr also another brand that's got brown faces with a green band in the middle. It's all better than normal stuff. But the key is finishing the edges. I've found mr mdf gives me flu like symptoms if I cut alot. Also as all mdf it's fiendishley dusty. The dust seems to come off in waves! It's stupid heavy to
I much prefer a decent grade of ply.i find in a small workshop it's much much better to work with. It takes glue and screws. My current favourite is metsawood spruce ply from the big b and qs. Blockboard is even better btw but tricky to source

I too found Medite MR really good but the brown stuff with the green layer/band was inferior. Not the same finish as Medite, more like standard sheet.
Blockboard has all but disappeared in my area, loved the stuff. Must look at the spruce ply, good finish with paint?

The metsawood has a nice sanded finish. Often perfect one side. Caveats are it can be variable. Even the best sheets can't approach the flatness of mdf( and the worst are terrible). So tall cabinets need a fixed centre shelf(or make in 2 parts)
It does have great even laminates( far East ply is rubbish ) and it's strong and light so shelves won't sag. A wooden strip is another method of finishing esp if you want a mould.
PS the flu symptoms alone would make it my first choice!
Lament blockboard all but disappearing it was a great product!

Davies Timber at Wythall offer both a delivery and a cutting service.

They have a natty piece of software which will work out the most economical way to cut the board based on the customer's cutting list.

I'm wanting to build a window seat and storage unit from MDF. Is Medite worth the extra over Caberwood Pro? I need 4 sheets (3/4"x8'x4') and with my buying power(!), Caberwood Pro is ~£23 and Medlite Standard ~£38..

B&Q sell Medite, standard, not MR, I think its about £20 a sheet for 18mm and they will cut it for you on their panel saw.

We always buy medite mr and again we buy packs of the stuff so we get it cheap. We’ve found it superior to the others we’ve tried such as kronospan mr.
I think for a home woodworker the difference probably isn’t really much of an issue as generally it affects how much prep work is required and therefore is more of an issue if time equals money.
By all means buy the more expensive boards but don’t expect them to be a magic board that is enormously better than the cheaper boards.

Thanks Will. Based on this I went back to my local B&Q and you are correct. They are selling Medite (Trade?) MDF sheets.

Right now they have an offer of £19.74 for 3 or more sheets, which is a good price and their cutting service is handy too..

Back