Quantcast

Advice on metal detectors (For wood)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you guys & gals use for detecting nails and other unwanted bits of metal in wood :?: I have a huge stock of old wooden beams, planks, and various other types of wood which all have some or a lot of nails etc. buried within. Any advice on makes, good or bad, cost, and of course where in U.K. they can be purchased. I have a contact in England who can obtain for me. Thanks in advance.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Losos

I use a lot of reclaimed timber, and having put a nail through my planer a while back, am very interested in finding all the bits of metal in the timber i use. For large pieces I recomend the Lumber Wizard, and for smaller pieces or more detailed searches, the little wizard. Both of these are available from Axminster.

Dennis

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Losos":3mvpe6n8 said:
What do you guys & gals use for detecting nails and other unwanted bits of metal in wood :?:
I find a brand new sawblade will find them every time... :roll: :lol: A good wire/pipe/stud finder does a pretty effective job, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies - Looks like Lumber Wizard it is then. Alf at the moment the saw blade can not be removed :cry: It's too long a story to go into here, but if SWIMBO doesn't object I'm hoping to get a Sheppach or maybe even a Rojek this Autumn & I certainly don't want to mess up those blades :)