Advice on making pens for a craft fair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
It's my Dad's birthday today and I made him a letter opener. To cut a long story short my Mum asked if I would be interested in making some pens for a craft fair they're doing for Christmas.

I'm interested in doing it but want to see if it's worthwhile first. It's not worth while if I can't make a profit on them and the likely customers will be OAPs. I'm not sure how much they're into buying pens?

I'm going to look into costs as last time I made some it cost about £10 to buy the materials and that was just for a slimline pen with a nice box and wood blank. Given a lot of the better pen kits themselves are quite expensive I'm not sure if it's going to be cost effective?

I am a novice so some of the more complicated pens are probably out. I've only done slimline kits so far as gifts but I'm guessing others are more popular for selling?

- What I was wondering was what would be the best kits to use?

- How much you would sell that pen for?

Thanks for any advice,

Jennifer

I'm going to do some boxes Jen, A little simpler and less outlay (you only need some timber) let's face it, you are doing these craft fairs on speculation and if you are left with a bunch of pens after spending a lot of money (you can't go to a craft fair with five pens) it could be an expensive outing.

Andy

Some years ago I had a go with some of the Craft Supplies slimline pen kits and enjoyed making them, but hardly sold any at some of the small craft fairs I was going to, while the usual key rings, light pulls, small bowls etc all sold quite well. Could have been that I'm no good at them, but they looked good to me ! Possibly pricing was wrong, can't recall the details, but you are right to think about costs of the kits as well as time spent as I suspect, like you, that you may need to charge more than people are willing to pay ?

Doug B and others do some lovely more upmarket pens, but I expect they are appealing to a different market than the casual craft fair audience, but could be wrong, perhaps they'll chip in with some thoughts ?

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Andy and Paul. Andy - I have a feeling boxes might take even longer and time is also expensive.

Paul - thanks, perhaps a mix of things is worth trying then.

Jensmith":3fe5oeq7 said:
I have a feeling boxes might take even longer and time is also expensive.

Paul - thanks, perhaps a mix of things is worth trying then.

Jen,

I think you may be right - a mix is the correct approach and see what sells well, (bearing in mind the potential clientele).

Boxes may take longer, (I don't know, never having made one), but there is no outlay for the kit - which is far more than the wood, of course, even a cheap pen kit.

Wlater Hall makes exquisite pens and sells them, I believe through galleries and direct - check out his website and I think he may say where he sells, which may be useful food for thought;

http://www.walterspens.co.uk/index.php?p=1_11_Gallery-

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Greg

Jen,

I've only been turning a few months and not that regularly, just when I fancy a go, and the little boxes are not that difficult, I can now do an ordinary box in about an hour including tea/coffee.

God knows what price to sell them for though
Two turned boxes.JPG

Andy

Attachments

• Two turned boxes.JPG
    Two turned boxes.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 854
I work on £10/hour + materials + packaging costs for my dolls house stuff. More if I want the option of trade customers.

It's always hard knowing what to charge, especially if items are kind of unique.

They are nice Andy. I have made a small box under tuition but think I lack a bit of confidence.

Back