Advice on Machine Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemayo

Reaction score
Hi all
Looking for advice on purchase of a new planer and seperate thicknesser.
Considering jet54a planer and seperate thicknesser.
Any comments

To narrow in my book, I had a 10inch then a 6 inch jointer and missed the 10 inch massivly. Thought about buying a Jet 260 combi?

thanks chtems
understood about narrow block.
could possibly consider the wider 8" block (jet 60a i think)
(limited selection/shopping for me
im in west of ireland, and all research is internet based)

what do you think in general of jet machines, say versus axminster or record (also considering small jet ts600 table saw).
friend has recently closed business workshop and sold all machines/tools except his panel saw, so we are setting it up in my workshop. therefore only need for planer and thicknesser as we have access to some very good seasoned bulk timber, so lots of milling required.
dave

I'd expect Jet's machinery to be built to a better standard than most of the Axminster range. If you want to compare them with Record Power though, it depends on what you're looking at/for - for instance, their PT300 planer/thicknesser has received good reviews and it's only slightly cheaper than the two Jet P/Ts...

If you're looking at standalone surface planers (or "jointers"), Jet don't seem to have a lot of competition once you start looking for something with a greater width of cut than 6".

If you've got the space, I'd advise anyone to go for two separate machines.

I'd say now having had both, separates and combo I'd rather a really decent combi. I'm saving now for the Jet260 and that will do me for ever I should hope. The advantages of separates are not having to switch over, but with the Jet 260 and 310 the table lift right up and thats all you have to do. 6-8inch isn't enough really as there will be a time you need to do wider boards.

Hello Davemayo,
I have a Makita 2021NB Thicknesser and I'm delighted with it. It's a quality piece of kit. It replaces (along with an SIP 6" Jointer) a cheapy combined machine that used to drive me mad with the palaver of changing modes.
Hope this is helpful.
Jim

I AM ALSO LOOKING TO BUY A PLANER AT THE MOMENT I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A DEWALT DW733 THICKNESSER AND AM VERY PLEASED WITH IT .
I WAS THICKNESSING 5FT LONG 3INCH THICK OAK AND WHAT AN AMAZINGLY SMOOTH FINISH FOR A SMALL MACHINE AND COULD NOT BELEIVE NO SNIPE.
PLANER WISE IT IS BETWEEN THE S.I.P AND THE JET IF BUDGET ALLOWS WILL POST HOW I GET ON OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OFF DAYS.

Hello BTR and welcome to UK Workshop. I'm sure it was unintentional, but using all capital letters in posts and emails is the equivalent of shouting. Hope you don't mind me pointing this out.
Cheers,
Jim :D

Hi Dave,

I have a Jet 54A and a Makita 2012NB thicknesser and would recommend both. The separates/combi decision involves compromises either way - yes, it can be annoying having only 6" width on the planer, but on most combis the beds are too short and the fence is aluminium. The Jet combi wasn't around when I was buying mine and I would have considered it (the JPT-310 with 1400mm beds, that is) but it was only £1000 back then. At todays price, the 54A and portable thicknesser are better value IMO.

If you want to see them in the flesh, you are welcome to come and take a look - I'm in East Co. Galway.

Cheers,
Neil

I have an Elektra Beckum planer / thicknesser. It takes about 40 seconds to switch between modes and works very well in either. It is 10" but there are times when even larger would be nice, mainly for thicknessing.

Back