Advice on flip saws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filsgreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

It's been three years to the day, since I sold most of my power tools and various woodworking paraphernalia; I now want to get back into it. My small workshop is only 11' x 7', so I am looking at a flip saw. Has anyone used one? I'm looking to save space, but I must admit, I would prefer an Axi. T250 and a Kapex KS60.

This time around I want to buy better quality and although the Axi. is relatively basic, from having one the last time; I found it to be a good table saw, and I want to spend more on the chop saw. I did think about getting the Festool plunge saw system, rather than the table saw, but I think the Axi. will have better capabilities. I intend to buy my sheet material cut more or less to size as the working space (8' 6" x 5' 62) would not allow me to cut down a full sheet and I do not want to work outside.

Reading my post, it looks as though I've answered my own question, but I would like the views of other members.

Phil

I have an Elektra Beckum KGT 500 flip saw, but I almost never use it in chop saw mode. I tend to cross cut using a sled.

It's pretty good quality, but one of the major drawbacks(for me) is that the mitre slots are trapezoidal, which means that runners for sleds are only bearing on the top edge of the slot. I suppose you could make trapezoidal runners, but I think it would be too tricky(for me).

I also have an Elektra Beckham (Metabo) flip saw which I've had for almost 15 years. It's a solid piece of kit and I use it in both mitre saw and table saw mode. My main issue with it is that it is really too heavy to be considered portable but it's great if you don't have much space. The other issue is the fence has no fine adjustment so probably more difficult to set up than a dedicated workshop table saw. I also have the support for the mitre saw and sliding carriage from the table saw mode. I often use the extension for the mitre saw but never use the carriage and use my TS55 festool track saw for dimensioning sheets. I bought the flip saw second hand and at new prices you could probably buy nice kit but it suits me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back