Advice on finish for kitchen doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
My new year promise for SWMBO is to refurbish the kitchen doors. Currently a "brown" oak like finish we all have grown to hate.

My wife has seen a chalk paint finish she likes...a lot even with the visible brush stokes. I have tried to convince her its a bit fragile for a kitchen but so far she is not changeing her mind.

So has anyone done this. ???? How do I make this finish more durable. ?????

Given its essentially Emulsion paint +Plaster of Paris and a little water can I use a clear water based poly matte varnishon it and does the manufacturer matter at all. Would this work.

I'm getting a bit concerned about this.....HELP

I've used water based varnish on chalk paint with no difficulty, just make sure it's completely dust free before applying - I use my midi dust extractor for this. You might also consider a wax specifically for chalk paint like the one from Rust-Oleum. I prefer the wax myself, it's more tactile and for me just looks better. There's no issue of heat and water damage on a door so wax is fine. Either method will prevent staining from grubby fingers and marks from the odd knock if you've applied enough coats.

Back