Advice in cutting and putting up a shelf.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaidersGunz

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum, I signed up a couple of days ago and I wanted as much information as possible about building my own wardrobe. In the last few days I've decided to downsize my plan to a simply shelf considering I've never worked with tools/wood before.

This morning I visited Selco where I bought a plank of MDF wood. I am going to fit it just above my tv in the front room.

In the very center of my living room there used to be a fire place, do that section of the wall is slightly outwards. Then either side of the fire place the walls are about 40 cm back (hope that makes sense)

The length of the shelf will be 150cm, the plank I bought was about 220cm.

Tools I bought:
STandard electric drill
Saw
Small work bench
Blue
1 inch and 1 1/2 inch screws.
Sandpaper
leveler.

I'm planning on cutting two, maybe three small blocks of wood and gluing them together in order to make a shelf support. Something like this... http://www.bizrice.com/upload/20120404/ ... _Shelf.jpg

Whats the best method of cutting in order to get the part I cut perfectly straight? Is there anything you guys can advise me on before I start tomorrow?

If the wall you are fixing the shelf against is uneven you can scribe the line of the wall on to the shelf by using a compass and pencil.
Then cut the shelf by following the line that has been drawn.

Do you mean you want shelving in the alcoves either side of the chimney breast?
Supports for those usually consist of battens fixed to the wall.

What thickness is the MDF that you bought? Over a span of 1.5m you will need intermediate support, or a batten along the full length of the alcove as well as the ends, to avoid sagging.

Back