advice for an Interior wooden wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopaDom

Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents

Looking for some thoughts on a putting up a wooden wall in my house,

Basically, I've just bought an open plan one-bed house, just picture two storey room 5.5m by 5m with an open half mezzanine floor that has the bedroom and bathroom on it. The Stairs go along the long side of the room with a sloping roof down to the hight of the first floor opposite the stairs. Hope that makes sense.

what I want to do is have a wooden feature wall on the wall following the staircase and up onto the mezzanine in a similar style to the picture.
what is the best way to go about this? I have seen it done by staining sheets of 3mm ply and then ripping them down to needed widths. however, i realised that doing it this way is probably going to leave uneven joints and look odd due to walls never being perfectly flat or square. I also thought that perhaps I could get the same effect with tongue and groove cladding, staining them in batches and cutting to length, but i'd end up with fairly visible joints doing it that way. Any thoughts on how I could achieve what i want?

Cheers Dom.

Attachments

• wooden wall.jpeg
    wooden wall.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 107
Hi Dom,
*Noob 'advice' alert!*
Just a thought, what about using thinish engineered flooring? Probably bump the price but you might be more certain of getting a flush and flatter finish? Could be there is perfectly good tongue and groove that I'm not aware of (wouldn't surprise me!). I might be tempted to approach it like tiling a wall. If your ceiling is fairly level you could start using a batten off the floor, square with ceiling then remove the batten to add the bottom foot or so and hide and smaller cuts behind skirting or at least less visible at floor level.
How are you planning on fixing the boards? I think I might try battening it out and hire a suitable nail gun for the day to pin it.
Interesting project, look forward to seeing how you get on and any advice from the wise as how to go about it.
Good luck.
Chris

Engineered flooring is def the way to go!

The example pic, looks like cheap whitewood stained. The light bits are different maybe birch ply.

It may be easiest to batten the wall first, with 2 x1 tile batten

Hi Chris,
Engineered flooring might work actually that's a good idea, but as you said it would bump the price up. I'll do some research and see what it comes back with. I would need to find an unfinished product though, so I could stain it as I needed, or I would need to buy different types of wood to get the same effect. Worth looking in too for sure.
Robin, that's a good shout on the battens too! thanks for the help. I'll do some digging and post my results.
Dom

Google unfinished engineered floor Dom. Loads out there fella. If you stain in batches, fix then finish with osmo or similar you should get a stable universal coating over the whole wall. You could even use battens! ;) Keep us posted fella.

Back