Adjustable trammel for router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's an adjustable trammel I made for my DeWalt 625

Competition24-1.jpg

Competition25.jpg

Competition29.jpg

The trammel is made of MDF and a couple of scraps of hardwood. Drill one end of the MDF to take the cutter (the size of this hole is not critical and I drilled mine quite large), and three holes to fit it to the base of the router - these are countersunk to take countersunk machine screws.

At the other end rout a 1/4" slot (this will take the pivot pin - for which I used an extra-long drill bit - and allow adjustment of the trammel) and drill two countersunk holes.

In the longer piece of hardwood, rout two 1/4" slots to line up with the two holes drilled in the MDF. Glue the shorter piece of hardwood to the longer piece and then drill this with a 1/4" hole to line up with the 1/4" slot in the MDF.

In use, a 1/4" hole is drilled in the workpiece, the extra-long drill bit inserted through the hardwood block and into the workpiece and the two wing nuts tightened when the trammel has been adjusted to the correct diameter.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sorry, Gill, I thought the pictures were self-explanatory, but obviously not. I've added a description - hope all is now clear.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Many thanks Paul. Something every woodworker should have. I'll put it on 'the list'

It's a very useful jig, Paul, and thanks for the additional description ;) .

When I saw the board with channels routed perpendicularly to each other, I wondered if this jig had been designed with the cutting of ellipsoids in mind.

Gill

I really like this jig Paul, thanks for sharing. :)

Looking at the base in the second photo, have you also made yourself an ellipse jig to go with it? :wink:

Back