ADHD and Mental Health

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my daughters has been diagnosed with ADD as an adult following various issues while younger. She was prescribed medicine which helped her and enabled her to function normally. She has recently changed jobs and moved to a different town and doctor. She tried to get a repeat prescription and was told she would need to see a consultant and that a referral would take about 4 years. She pointed out that she had already been diagnosed and it is all recorded in her medical notes but the doctor said he could not issue a prescription without a consultant's diagnosis. She then wrote a letter to the doctor saying she needed the medication to function and without it would loose her job and not be able to pay her rent and become homeless. He said he would try to push it through quicker.

When my daughter was diagnosed she told my wife the symptoms and my wife said " that's your father" to them all. I make no claims to have autism or ADD I do suspect that I am in the foothills of what is a spectrum of symptoms. However when I was at school ADHD and Autism where not things so I have lived successfully in ignorance of my "condition".

One of my daughters has been diagnosed with ADD as an adult following various issues while younger. She was prescribed medicine which helped her and enabled her to function normally. She has recently changed jobs and moved to a different town and doctor. She tried to get a repeat prescription and was told she would need to see a consultant and that a referral would take about 4 years. She pointed out that she had already been diagnosed and it is all recorded in her medical notes but the doctor said he could not issue a prescription without a consultant's diagnosis. She then wrote a letter to the doctor saying she needed the medication to function and without it would loose her job and not be able to pay her rent and become homeless. He said he would try to push it through quicker.

When my daughter was diagnosed she told my wife the symptoms and my wife said " that's your father" to them all. I make no claims to have autism or ADD I do suspect that I am in the foothills of what is a spectrum of symptoms. However when I was at school ADHD and Autism where not things so I have lived successfully in ignorance of my "condition".
Sounds crazy given that she has been diagnosed and has to wait up to 4 years but I’m not surprised at all . I’m on medication my stress and anxiety but I just reorder it from the chemist without seeing my doctor . If I ask my g p for a repeat prescription then I’m told I need to be assessed??? Maybe she could try speaking to her previous doctor for advice.. hope she gets it sorted soon..

Just because you have moved doesn't mean you need to change your doctor.

Just keep making your prescription requests with the original supportive doctor.

My family have travelled (admittedly in the same city) to the same practice our entire lives.

Just keep making your prescription requests with the original supportive doctor.

My family have travelled (admittedly in the same city) to the same practice our entire lives.
She moved flats a lot in London over the years and every time she moved she had problems getting the prescription supplied by a new pharmacy. Apparently due to the medication being traded by some users it is tightly controlled and the new pharmacies would say we only supply it to regular customers. She would of course point out that she had just moved to the area and if they would supply it she would then become a regular customer. She had no problems with the doctor in London but having moved up North she had problems even getting registered with a doctor who then has been very difficult about signing a prescription.

She said as she had a supply when she started the new job she became familiar with what she had to do and what is expected of her so she can manage in the short term without the medication. From what she has said it is a high pressure sales/account management type of environment with quite a high turnover in which she appears to be doing well.

You’ve entered the minefield of mental health…the backlog for ADHD assessments is incredibly depressing…
Parents often unknowingly don’t find out they themselves have lived with their own ADHD all their lives, and it’s not until their own child is assessed and they then realise that they too answer positive to many of the questions…
Many children have gone through life labelled as naughty or difficult, being disruptive, impulsive and hard to handle. It’s only in recent years that ADHD, a neurological disorder has been found to be the blame, which can be successfully treated with medication and therapy…..
ADHD is now the unberella name for the various variants. Generally children grow out of the hyperactive stage which then became ADD, as adults learn to cope with the hyperactivity….
It also presents as “Inattentive ADHD”..where the child is the type to sit daydreaming at the back of the class, looking out of the window unaware of what’s going on around…
There are now many ADHD help groups around set up to help the many people struggling for answers and getting assessed.
There is tons of information on YouTube, you can do a self assessment.
You are certainly not alone…good luck

There's something like a "10 Mile Rule" for keeping your GP when you move. Up to 10 miles is OK; beyond that, after a time, you have to switch.

Back