Adding sockets to ring circuit - advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to add a couple of sockets to a ring circuit and rather than doing as spurs, is it ok to do the following:

1) Cut the ring where I need a new socket
2) Add one cut end to the new socket
3) Add a new length of cable from the new socket and join to the other cut end (of the ring circuit) with a junction box

It is the upstairs ring circuit, with 2.5mm cable, 32amp fuse, modern consumer unit, lots of sockets (but you can never have enough) but isn't particularly heavily loaded.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

DT

Are junction boxes allowed ?

Surely you'd have to have a continuous run from one side of your cut back to the next socket in the ring ?

Thanks for all the advice, the reason I was suggesting a junction box was in case I couldn't do a continuous run (due to flooring, pulling wires through conduit etc.)

Cheers,

DT

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that since the new cable colours were introduced you must have a qualified electrician to add sockets to your ring main? Fitting a new switch/socket is ok but any other work must be done by a qualified electrician. Like I say I may be wrong.

BH

Baldhead":58gsp3ek said:
I may be wrong but it is my understanding that since the new cable colours were introduced you must have a qualified electrician to add sockets to your ring main? Fitting a new switch/socket is ok but any other work must be done by a qualified electrician. Like I say I may be wrong.

BH

And I'll no doubt be wrong(er ?) but I believe you can do the job, but the work then has to certified by a qualified electrician

Nope thats right. Anybody (deemed a competent person) can do the work but only a certified spark can issue the certificate. Its a special Gov scheme called....lets raise tax by "training" electricians if they want to keep working and hide it under the BS of health and safety

Or am I getting a tad cynical?

Hi,

Lifted the floor boards, found the circuit, found a plug near where I wanted to cut the circuit; but, just couldn't pull the wire through the conduit. So had to use a junction box in the end.

Guess what I found the spark who had done my re-wire a couple of years ago had used a junction box in the ring anyway!

Thanks for all the advice!

Regards,

DT

Careful putting those boards back - last time I did this, I used new boards and my very last screw went through a waterpipe - my, how we laughed !

dm65":1cyjeve0 said:
Careful putting those boards back - last time I did this, I used new boards and my very last screw went through a waterpipe - my, how we laughed !

Ouch! Fortunately, they're replacement floorboards so the nice clean wood has lots of writing on it about where to nail!

DT

Random Orbital Bob":1aju8b9w said:
Nope thats right. Anybody (deemed a competent person) can do the work but only a certified spark can issue the certificate. Its a special Gov scheme called....lets raise tax by "training" electricians if they want to keep working and hide it under the BS of health and safety

Yes....my neighbor is just having his garage rebuilt after rearranging the electrics himself, garage caught fire because the connections in the consumer unit were not done correctly. I was once called to have a look at someones extractor fan they had installed themselves, it wouldn't work, the reason was he had connected the brown (what he thought was earth) to the earth terminal, had the case been metal and not plastic he would have been electrocuted.
I have seen things done with electrics that would make you cringe.

Andy

andersonec":xq9jc70t said:
Random Orbital Bob":xq9jc70t said:

Yes....my neighbor is just having his garage rebuilt after rearranging the electrics himself, garage caught fire because the connections in the consumer unit were not done correctly. I was once called to have a look at someones extractor fan they had installed themselves, it wouldn't work, the reason was he had connected the brown (what he thought was earth) to the earth terminal, had the case been metal and not plastic he would have been electrocuted.
I have seen things done with electrics that would make you cringe.

Andy

Ok, fair comment. I guess that's why the phrase 'deemed a competent person' is used ?

Sounds like your neighbour fell well short of this

Also sounds like he missed the last part of the law - ie getting the work certified

Lots of people out there who know how to do things by watching tv and/or 'researching' with Google (other search engines available :) )

Back