Absolute bargain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, now you've posted the ebay link everyone will be bidding and it will sky rocket, I was hoping to get it at the bargain 4 grand price.

Would have thought that frog design and mounting would have had a blank lever cap ?

The stamping on the iron also looks wrong , would have expected Stanley, New Britain, Conn, USA.

Edit:
oops They stopped making them a lot later than I thought 1869-1943 so maybe that explains the lever cap and iron. Maybe they never updated the frogs ?

Maybe it includes the requisite insurance. I think the postage is the least of the worries. I knew they were expensive but not that high. Then again I've never seen one listed in that condition and with the box.

The £30 postage is for economy delivery! Could you imagine paying 6 grand and some courier tosses it over the garden fence!!

Regards Keith

The last one I saw in the flesh, was £65, at a local carboot 3 years ago, guess inflation has struck since then !! Yes I would have bought it, but it was already in somebodies sticky mitt, I got there as he was counting out the money. Mind it didn't have the box so it probably wasn't worth £4000, hey ho.

Bluekingfisher":mw3gah6w said:
Undoubtedly, there are some odd balls out there.

There are some oddballs in here as well!

I don't know much about dating Stanley tools but at a guess, based on the Sweetheart logo, I'd say pre Second World War. If that's correct then how many mint, boxed examples of a No 1 plane are there in existence? There's every chance that is the only one. If so, then is the price so very outrageous? All it takes is two well-healed collectors deciding that piece is just what they need to complete their collection and be truly happy, and it could sail through the asking price.

Personally I take the view it's hardly ever possible to over pay for something truly unique, and likewise it's hardly ever possible to under pay for something run of the mill. Certainly the evidence of the antique furniture market over the past ten years supports that view. Those rare pieces that are of genuine museum quality continue to set new price records, while the vast majority of stuff gathering dust in dealers windows goes further down in value with each passing year. I sometimes look at the tat people buy at boot fairs and post here saying, "only a tenner for the lot!", and I think, "then that's a tenner down the toilet because it's just rubbish".

So who knows who the real oddballs are?

I think i'm going to buy it and use it to joint telephone poles.

I showed this to my American friend an asked his opinion. His answer was:

A #1 would sell here for $1000. NIB maybe up to $2000 so I think the price is quite unreasonable although NIB will not show up many times. I have seen it before, however. ... If I had the money to throw at something like a #1 I would and I could go and buy one for $950 any day I wanted ...

($1000 approx. 650 GBP)

Well, let's see how the auction ends.

Claus

Mr_P":38mgt6l2 said:
Big surprise, no bids.

A lot rarer this side of the pond so £808 sounds reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151823784208? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Doesn't do it for me, think the most I've paid for a Bailey type is £40.

The Op is not an inexperienced eBayer, therefore it makes one wonder why he put a start bid on at £4000?

Perhaps, he knows he could get £1000 although matbe he was hoping there was a fool with more money than sense. can't blame him for that.

I wonder what the listing fee was for a £4K start price?

David

Bluekingfisher":1s8uh3l5 said:
Mr_P":1s8uh3l5 said:
Big surprise, no bids.

A lot rarer this side of the pond so £808 sounds reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151823784208? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Doesn't do it for me, think the most I've paid for a Bailey type is £40.

The Op is not an inexperienced eBayer, therefore it makes one wonder why he put a start bid on at £4000?

Perhaps, he knows he could get £1000 although matbe he was hoping there was a fool with more money than sense. can't blame him for that.

I wonder what the listing fee was for a £4K start price?

David

If he's listed enough, it was probably free.

Which is part of the problem on ebay.

Latest posts

Back