Absolute bargain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":2fc6vl4d said:
Bluekingfisher":2fc6vl4d said:
Mr_P":2fc6vl4d said:
Big surprise, no bids.

A lot rarer this side of the pond so £808 sounds reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151823784208? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Doesn't do it for me, think the most I've paid for a Bailey type is £40.

The Op is not an inexperienced eBayer, therefore it makes one wonder why he put a start bid on at £4000?

Perhaps, he knows he could get £1000 although matbe he was hoping there was a fool with more money than sense. can't blame him for that.

I wonder what the listing fee was for a £4K start price?

David

If he's listed enough, it was probably free.

Which is part of the problem on ebay.

Nothing to lose then?

David

Bluekingfisher":37ll0kr1 said:
Mr_P":37ll0kr1 said:
Big surprise, no bids.

The Op is not an inexperienced eBayer, therefore it makes one wonder why he put a start bid on at £4000?

Perhaps, he knows he could get £1000 although matbe he was hoping there was a fool with more money than sense. can't blame him for that.

David

He has 0 feedbacks as a seller - this appears to be his first sale. That's seems odd, at best.

And it's a VERY terse descriptipon for such a valuable item.

Again, odd.

BugBear

Bother! The auction has closed. I needed a spare, just in case...

... assuming one was originally bought to use, what were they actually used for - for children or for display?

If that one is/was a genuine sale, it doesn't look especially well finished either.

I'm probably a bit thick, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that they fetch such huge prices now (even at "only" $1000).

Eric The Viking":hx5igvjw said:
Bother! The auction has closed. I needed a spare, just in case...

... assuming one was originally bought to use, what were they actually used for - for children or for display?

If that one is/was a genuine sale, it doesn't look especially well finished either.

I'm probably a bit thick, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that they fetch such huge prices now (even at "only" $1000).

I believe the original intention for such planes is still very much open for discussion?

I'm sure they can perform to a reasonable level, however I would consider their rarity, due to low numbers being produced is the reason as to why the tools change hands for high sums of money.

David

Maybe the only woodworker who really used his No 1 was HO Studley - he of the famous fitted tool chest. There is a recent video at Highland Woodworking in which Chris Schwarz and Don Williams discuss the chest to promote their new book about it and they say it's the most worn example they have seen.

But to add to the mystery, Studley put the little plane in a decorated niche as if it was the most precious tool in the whole chest, at a time long before eBay and wealthy tool collectors!

D_W":112iiflf said:
Bluekingfisher":112iiflf said:
Mr_P":112iiflf said:
Big surprise, no bids.

David

If he's listed enough, it was probably free.

Which is part of the problem on ebay.
For private sellers eBay give at least 20 listings a month free and usually increase this to a 100 during the month as a "special offer". In fact the average eBayer would rarely if ever pay to list. The start price has no effect although years back it did but that all changed some while ago.

AndyT":363fn37g said:
Maybe the only woodworker who really used his No 1 was HO Studley - he of the famous fitted tool chest. There is a recent video at Highland Woodworking in which Chris Schwarz and Don Williams discuss the chest to promote their new book about it and they say it's the most worn example they have seen.

But to add to the mystery, Studley put the little plane in a decorated niche as if it was the most precious tool in the whole chest, at a time long before eBay and wealthy tool collectors!

Perhaps he actually had a finely tuned sense of humour.

After all, it's generally considered to be the nicest-ever tool chest never to have actually been used in anger. I wonder if the #1 was included just to throw a bit of confusion our way, i.e. he acquired an obviously used one from someone else.

I'm still no nearer to understanding the price of the things. It can't be an expression of their value to a user, surely? It seems a bit like putting a value on a piece of chewing gum used by Elvis. There'll be someone, somewhere...

:)

E.

Are we sure it was never used in anger? I know he built it later on in his career but I have never read that it was unused. I confess I have not bought the recent book so don't know for sure.

[
I'm still no nearer to understanding the price of the things. It can't be an expression of their value to a user, surely? It seems a bit like putting a value on a piece of chewing gum used by Elvis. There'll be someone, somewhere...

:)

E.[/quote]

Its simply as case of rarity and desirability, not only for #1 Stanley planes.

If Leonardo devoted his entire life to painting Mona Lisas then the one in the louvre would not hold such significant value/importance.

I doubt it would be used, merley cherised. From a practical and pragmatic perspective the value would be nearer £100, seeing as #1 planes (not Stanley) are still being made today.

David

Back