Abranet discs - best place to source?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinisgreat

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

As per the title, does anyone have a favoured supplier for 125mm Abranet discs? I think I bought my "manual" abranet gear from Axminster when they had a special deal on ages ago. Are they as good a source as any? Looking forward to putting my new Lidl ROS through its paces!

Cheers

Andrew

I normally buy them from anyone selling them on eBay, sometimes they chuck in a pad saver. Not found them cheaper.

Axminster seemed to have a decent selection last time I looked, as I will be needing some more soon. Rest Express are another big stockist, with probably the biggest selection I've seen.

i shop around when I need some, but find that either southern filters or rest express seem to be where I end up buying from. Check both their websites and their ebay presence. It usually depends whether i need other bits that Rest Express sell at the time, because the prices are usually similar and I have had good service from both.

Sometimes you get lucky on ebay and find a box of what you are looking for a few quid cheaper. 125mm seem more expensive than the 150mm's that i bought though.

marcros":fd41l0u3 said:
i shop around when I need some, but find that either southern filters or rest express seem to be where I end up buying from. Check both their websites and their ebay presence. It usually depends whether i need other bits that Rest Express sell at the time, because the prices are usually similar and I have had good service from both.

Sometimes you get lucky on ebay and find a box of what you are looking for a few quid cheaper. 125mm seem more expensive than the 150mm's that i bought though.
I've bought from Rest Express a few times, outstanding.

It does annoy me when a loyal customer of theirs who blindly purchases from the website directly is paying more than Rest Express shift stuff through eBay sometimes. Really irksome.

i find that the biggest difference tends to be with postage- particularly if you only want the single item that you are buying. Often the ebay postage is a couple of quid less than the website's own standard shipping charge. At that point, I chose whether i want/need some other bits, so it is worth going through the website, or only want the single item, where it often isnt.

marcros":1bafln3b said:
i find that the biggest difference tends to be with postage- particularly if you only want the single item that you are buying. Often the ebay postage is a couple of quid less than the website's own standard shipping charge. At that point, I chose whether i want/need some other bits, so it is worth going through the website, or only want the single item, where it often isnt.
Understood. In my example though (abranet funnily enough), the item was cheaper on eBay and included postage, so even if I did finally purchase those little odds and sods I've been saving up at Rest Express, it'd have cost more.

Our very own Pater Sefton sells them via his Woodworkers Workshop site I'm not sure how he compares on price but the service is first class.

Student":18dla5mc said:
Our very own Pater Sefton sells them via his Woodworkers Workshop site I'm not sure how he compares on price but the service is first class.
http://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/epages/eshop814530.mobile/en_GB/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=21042190&PageSize=5

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Once I'd reached the free postage order total at Rest Express they were about the same price as Axminster, so I ordered the 50 assorted grits.

I'd forgotten that RE sells Rustins brush restorer, which if you haven't tried it, is superb, so I topped up on that too.

Will try ebay next time.

Cheers

Andrew

Wuffles":32vz9is6 said:
marcros":32vz9is6 said:
It does annoy me when a loyal customer of theirs who blindly purchases from the website directly is paying more than Rest Express shift stuff through eBay sometimes. Really irksome.

Another disturbing trend on ebay is the way some Buy it Now items magically shoot up in price as soon as you add them to your basket. One item increased by 10% within the short time it took to click "Add to basket"and from their to the checkout. Yesterday I noticed it had dropped in price by almost a third however when attempting to purchase I received a message saying the vendor was on vacation so not processing any orders for the time being. That would be understandable if it was an individual but this is a company I'll bet is known to many on here. So I contacted the holidaying vendor to say I had attempted to purchase and hoped they would honour the advertised price on their return. Not had a reply but holiday or not, I see the item has been withdrawn as no longer available. Dubious to say the least.

Latest posts

Back