AAAGRHHHH! Online grocery shopping rant!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine suggested online shopping for my groceries as it saves time for busy guys like ourselves. So with this in mind I thought last week I would try it. So on to Tesco's website and register for it....no...I tried 5 times to open an account but each time it wouldn't accept my chosen passwords? Undaunted I gave them a call and the guy who was very helpful said it was my postcode that was wrong as they had it logged as a previous address (15 years ago)! he re set it and said everything should be fine now. Three more attempts and I gave up thinking I would try Asda. Registering on their site gave a similar experience refusing to accept my applications stating my e-mail was already registered with them?? I have never used them before? three more attempts and I gave up on them! :evil: Ok, not to be outdone i thought I would try Morrisons as there is one within one mile of my home. On the first page it asked for my postcode to see if they delivered in my area, I punched in in my post code only to be informed they did not deliver to my area! :shock: By this time I was spitting nails but didn't give up and gave Iceland foods a try their page wouldn't load up although i could access the online shop I couldn't load the registering page!! :roll: Fast forward a few days and a shopping spree to my local Lidl to keep me going I thought I would give Iceland a try again and this time got on to the page to register...whoo hooo! here we go I thought and registered without any problems even logging my saver card with them. :D Right now to start shopping and save myself time and effort. I picked a few items and put them into my basket and then thought I would have a look how much I had spent so far only to find my basket was empty???? :( I searched the site trying to find what had happened to my items finding nothing? I logged off and them back on again and gave it another try to no avail! :roll: By this time I was tearing what little hair I have left out and filling the air with expletives! :twisted: So to cut a long story short i now need to go shopping again and will have to pop into PC World to buy a new laptop as they don't like being used as a Frizbee! :cry: ARGHHHHH! So much for time saving! :roll: Sorry guys rant over. :oops:

So you could probsbly have gone to Tescos, done your shopping, stopped for a coffee, go home and unpacked in less time that you spent trying to place an online order :D

Luckily for me, my wife does our food shopping every week. She goes to Waitrose and by being choosy on the use by dates, its possible to do shopping once a week.

Weve tried online shopping, which is fine for packets, tins etc, but fresh foods are often dated very close to the day its delivered. Also if you order fresh fruit and vegetables you can end up with the runt of the litter.

If you tick the 'allow substitutions' box, expect some totally random items to appear :D - its a subject that could have a thread all of its own.

I quite often use Waitrose delivery service due to the hours I work. Zero problems with substitutions or almost out of date items. Excellent service and quality. This is the polar opposite of the experience I had with Tesco when I fist used on-line grocery shopping several years ago (where we lived in Surrey near Gatwick). Quality varies substantially by supermarket anyway.

Once you have shopped a couple of times it is super quick as it remembers items you perviously ordered and most of us buy much the same stuff repeatedly. It probably saves me money as I do the food shopping (and cooking) and am an inveterate impulse buyer in store.

I used to live within a couple of miles of 2 huge tesco, 2 big sainsburys, 3 waitrose and a morrisons. 18 months ago i moved to a village no where near a supermarket. Haven't been to a supermarket in 18 months. Use Tescos, which gets delivered from Crawley in Sussex which is about 20 miles away. I guess thats where AJBs came from when he lived near gatwick. My experience is the exact opposite to his though, rarely a substitution, dates are fine, couple of minor issues I've had quickly sorted on phone plus vouchers as way of apology. I pay £30 a year for unlimited deliveries as apposed to paying for each one which is a bargain in the time it saves us. (We had £200 worth of deliveries last year so £170 saved) We'll do the order on the ipad sat in the car, on a train, do half and order then go back to it etc. We basically now waste no time going to the supermarket. We are lucky to have an excellent farm shop in the village for odd bits between orders. I'm a convert to online grocery shopping. Sounds like you have computer problems rather than online shopping problems Mailee.

Mark

We've used tesco and some of the other delivery services a few years now. My wife orders it all and usually it's OK but quite often they mess up sending damaged or out of date stuff. They refund every time buy you them have to go out and but stuff so it defeats the object really lol.

All in all its useful

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Mark - yes it was Gatwick Crawley I suppose, as we lived in Newdigate. I don't know whether they operate from the shop or a distribution depot though. It was several years ago and I suspect the supermarkets have learned a lot about the on-line business: if they constantly annoy customers with short dated goods and substitutions, it will quickly damage their business. I am also a bit prejudiced against Tesco as I think they are among the worst for mistreating their suppliers, but that is a different issue. Oddly enough I usually enjoy supermarket shopping: since I am the main cook I like to potter around and choose, so quite often I go to Waitrose in Sevenoaks first thing and partake of the excellent cooked breakfast they do there, followed by shopping. But I thoroughly recommend on-line.

I don't think it is my computer Mark as I am regularly ordering things online and have shopping baskets on a few sites I use for woodworking and the like. It seems to be whenever I try to buy from the supermarkets for my groceries?? Maybe the supermarket chains have me blacklisted or something? :lol:
P.S. I am going shopping again tonight back to Lidl. :roll:

Back