A

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point i've decided to just wait it out until I can sort out for a proper PT rather than spend 1k now and 2.5k later to upgrade, having trouble finding a sparky that will actually show up on an appointment or reply after they're on site.

I do have an isolator on the garage electrics and the breaker is actuall type B not A, so it should hold to surges 3-5x rated current (48-80 amps). So there might be an option to upgrade just the isolater and add an 16amp plug.

16A has been fitted for a reason (which may be just ‘cos that’s the default). Without knowing the cable type and the way it’s been run (eg through the middle of a load of insulation) it may not be a good idea to change it. You won't need to if you just fit a 16A socket. (NOT Plug!!) See 16A 230V Surface Interlocked Socket 2P+E IP44

18th regs apply, from 1/1/19. Agree with spectric (I am not a sparks). Electrician likely to say you need a dedicated radial supply for Part P sign off.
To be honest any electrician who said that should be shown the door 😊.

Roy’s suggesting installing a small consumer unit in the garage/workshop. That’s the way to go if you can, but it comes with all sorts of complications and really designing properly. (Things like earthing, discrimination etc need to be thought about).

That’s definitely the “state of the art” and it’s what I did with my workshop. However you certainly don’t need it, nor do you need a dedicated radial. Many integral garage workshops mange just fine with a few socket on a house ring.

Finally (and just for clarity ’cos there is a lot of confusion about it) Part P is not a document or something you get at the end of a pit of work. You are thinking about an installation or minor works certificate. Part P (of the building regs) has – fortunately – evolved, and a householder can do a lot more than they used to be allowed to do. You can’t mess about in bathrooms or outside (ie “Special Locations”), and you can’t install a new circuit, but you can do a lot more than you might think.

Sorry, not having a poke, but there is a lot of duff info surrounding household electrics so I was using your post to explain a bit.

Of course the golden rule applies. If you don’t know what you are doing, then don’t do it!

Part P is not something to sign but is a regulation that states all electrical work must be safe and undertaken by competant persons, or it has been said a license to print money!

I think you are down to a few options and you need to decide what you are wiling to spend and wish to achieve before you move house, could you bring the move forward and then ensure the new workshop is to requirements? If not then it is worth getting an electrician round so you can make a decision based on his inspection and then you can use the garage to enjoy a new P/T. I admit it is easier for people like myself who have done this work for a living but at the same time we also see some dangerous work and too many people assume that if it works it is safe. I am supprised you cannot find a local sparky, you do have a really good supplier locally that I have used when I lived down south, Cambridge Branch | TLC Electrical.

Beanwood, the whole purpose of electrical testing an instalation is to prove that under fault conditions sufficient current would flow to operate the protective device within the required time. You always want a safety margin and so would not want to run a 16amp protective device at 16 amps continously.

Back