a vague question about a spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Alan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been (almost) offered an Axminster spindle moulder in almost new condition. Axminster no longer do the model, all I know is it's fixed head single speed 25mm shaft with an adaptor sleeve to take it to 30 mm. Is it worth it?

Alan

I have a pathetic Kity 41? single speed moulder and its ruddy brill. Just built 7 georgian windows with it and also used it to scribe the tenons. Yes its worth having.

£220 for a spindle moulder :D .

The single speed suggests a much older model, do you know what that speed is ?. As it could be a bit limiting in use. Also the hp rating would be useful to know ?. And also what type of work are you planning to use it for ?.
would be useful as to advice you better.

My previous moulder was a small one and I found it a bit limiting after a short while.

:)
Well I did say it was a bit vague...I was picking up a dust extractor when this potential was offered. The guy is a joiner during the day and was doing a bit of evening work and got jarred off with doing his day job for a hobby so is going back to working on scooters. His comments which seemed genuine were he had put bigger cutters on but the peripheral speed scared him so he had limited himself to smaller diameters but suggested it would be possible to get a pulley made to gear it down.
That's the problem really, being taken aback at an option I hadn't been considering I didn't know the right questions to ask ...also thinking I'll go away and look it up on the axminster site not knowing it was no longer current. As for what use well I don't know really, I've just fitted a grands worth of oak architrave and skirting in my house so might have saved a few bob but don't plan on doing it again anytime soon. I do have ambitions to build a conservatory/ extension predominately glass so maybe...but in reality no fixed plans and I do have a Triton in a table so should I just persevere with small bites with that?
I know it all seems terribly vague but sometimes you don't know what you want until you've got it ...or got the wrong one :)

Alan

Get it bought.

Worst case you don't like it - you get if flogged on ebay.

Best case you think its great and keep it.

Second best case you don't like it and sell it for a profit on ebay.

Adam

It's unusual for a moulder to be single speed, most moulders have 3 speeds changable by moving the pulley belt onto differnt size pulleys. Big cutter blocks need slow speeds and small block need faster speeds. Big blocks on too fast a speed are a big No No :shock: :shock: .

If you get chance have a look inside the machine near the motor you'll see if it's multispeed or not. If it is BUY IT :D :D :D .

Hope this helps

You could always purchase a pair of multi step pulleys to give a range of speeds.

Roy.

Adam
I do take your point but it's not lightweight and involves a couple of hours travel. I was really looking for a don't touch with a bargepole because.....type of response, due to the 25mm spindle.
Digit/proshop The guy said it was single speed and from the way he talked about getting another pulley made and not putting big cutters on I believe him. Appreciate the advice about multistep pulleys, would that be easy to do on motor and spindle end? tough to know without a look I guess.

Alan

tough to know without a look I guess.

True. Pulleys wouldn't need to be made they are off the shelf items, but with suitable facilities it would not be too difficult. On occasion motor shafts are far longer than a single pulley anyway as they are mass produced for many users.
Depending on how much use the machine would have you could also simply change single pulleys.
If the motor is a brush motor electronic speed control might be viable.
If the price is right, and other considerations fit, just change pulleys as required.

Roy.

I found out a bit more...

Comes with five 3wing cutters, two spindles - 1 x 19mm & 1 x 25mm. Also comes with sleeve so you can use small spindle blocks.

This is not a full blown spindle moulder, it will accept small blocks up to 80mm diameter. Ideal for small moulding work. i.e for use with 40mm euro spindle cutters. it will also accept large router cutters.

Does this make a difference i.e would I still be able to machine window and doorframes etc.

Alan

That sounds like the spindle shaper that Axminster used to sell, more based on American type machines. I believe it morphed into a more European type at some point. Is it called an Axminster YMS01A, if so I have a 2001 catalogue with the spec in it.

Andy

I knew there was a reason I should have kept those old catalogues. So based on the spec and the price at the time? what do you think? is it worth the agro or should I just stick with the Triton in the router table. This is based on me not being a trade professional but an enthusiastic amateur. I still see the merits of a machine that can do a sizeable rebate without stress, it's just that for the amount I am going to do will the Triton cope with smaller passes, can this machine give me anything extra for my needs? I am very much in two minds... I have to find space for it too. I think I have space just not the discipline to organise it, the missus says anyway.

Alan

I've made both using a router, this sort of heavy work is why I now use a router bench fitted to the shop wall. Routers capable of handling the work are available, but they are not much use if the table moves or a great deal of the timber overhangs the table ends.

Roy.

Back