A truly mobile workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billw":2y9o0iqk said:
Being a complete traveller I'd appreciate that the person doing the job was keeping his overheads low by not leasing a van :lol: [/b]

if you were a "complete traveller" you'd be heading to karls house right now ,in your knackered transit with no MOT and snide tax disc, to load up with some "new" tools :lol:

The trailer idea is good. Especially if you can pick one up cheap on eBay. Even if you couldn't park the trailer in the garage, it would still make loading and unloading quicker. You could also customise it in a similar way to what Byron is saying about Tolpins van. Actually I remember seeing something in the US where the guy had fitted his whole workshop into a trailer. TS, BS, SCMS, Dust extraction. I'll see if I can find it again. ;)

If you had an accident, you'd be so dead as you'd be hit by some piece of flying equipment. There is a great video we show to people (we= fire service) that is about seatbelts and shows how a person becomes a projectile around the car and that all occupants would have survived had they not had one person who was not wearing a seatbelt in the car ricocheting off the walls and killing them all in the process. I'm sure you've seen something similar on TV. But just for a quick read this women was killed by her un-secured laptop:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/woman ... -20090416/

Get yourself a trailer man!

Surely if Karl had a Van or Trailer he would still have to load/unload it every day?

Me I'd use the roof rack for the kids, the fresh air will do them the World of good.

studders":2psffmhb said:
Surely if Karl had a Van or Trailer he would still have to load/unload it every day?

Me I'd use the roof rack for the kids, the fresh air will do them the World of good.

Firstly it wouldn't fit them and secondly they'd almost certainly complain when asked to carry timber more than a mile or two.

Stick with the car. 8)

Me? I turn up to meetings in a suit and driving a 21-year-old Land Rover.
Occasionally I have customers ask for a go in it!

I would fit a towbar to the car and then construct a closed trailer to carry all my gear in if it were me.
Other trades do that if they dont want tobe a van man.

I use my car in preference to a van as running two vehicles would just be an unnecessary expense. However I don't do much site work if I can help it. I agree in an accident that load looks like a death trap. One hint I was given a while ago was to fasten the rear seat belts if anything heavy is in the boot as they will restrain the rear seats from folding a lot better than the seat retaining catches. This won't stop everything else flying around though!

A trailer would still be easier to unload and load.

only thing is - and as someone who regular tows a trailer i can say this for definite - if you are working in surburbia as i presume karl often is rseversing and parking a trailer in your average street isnt easy.

that said i agree with chems on the flying items issue - you can get clip in bulkheads that would protect the driver in those circs

Eric The Viking":1omy8kzc said:
studders":1omy8kzc said:

Firstly it wouldn't fit them and secondly they'd almost certainly complain when asked to carry timber more than a mile or two.
:lol:
Tsk!! Kids today eh? Why when I were a lad.......

I'm quite sure Karl just uses it as a lube for sharpening his blades.... eh Karl ? ;) Right? ;) ;)

Errr.....something like that Tom. :lol:

Actually I had chapped lips a couple of weeks ago, and it was getting on my nerves that much that I turned big girly and cracked open the vaseline.

I'm surprised it took until Page 3 for somebody to point it out.

Trailer - not an option i'm afraid. Nowhere to store it at night plus, as BSM said, it'd be a right pain towing it everywhere, turning, reversing etc.

Cheers

Karl

Was a time when 'fitters' or 'tradesmen', and the like turned up on a pushbike. And as someone intimated, If you did a good job, you'd soon be able to afford motorised transport!

I guess today it's just a bit much to start with a push-bike.

And Karl... 'MELROSE' was my choice for cold-chapped skin. Not so greasy as PJ.

:wink:

John

Arghhhhhh! When will AOL put a spell check in their browser!
Not before I learn how to type without typos? :mrgreen:

Mention of a trailer reminded me of this one I saw on an American forum

Trailerpictures003.jpg

Trailerpictures002.jpg

Trailerpictures001.jpg

Trailerpictures004.jpg

I want me one!

Alternatively, there's this beauty....

trailerbig.jpg

trailersmall.jpg

:lol:

Now that's cool. A portable wall saw ;)

That's not the one I saw. I can't seem to find it. But it was a normal smallish trailer with a full plethora of tools that made up a kind of 'island' for working out in the open. I think it was probably on LumberJocks

I work out of my car as well. It's like tetris fitting everything in. I do have a trailer though for transporting what ever doesn't fit in the car. Now that i have a full license i'll be looking for a van. I doubt to many people would turn their noses up if you don't show up in a van. You do what you have to do and making a living isn't the end all be all. Family comes first in my opinion. What i've found though is i've completely wrecked the car using it for work. I'll be driving it to the wreckers in a month or two.

Back