A top for some legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieStew

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

Looking to buy the following legs for a desk (my home office).

https://www.fully.eu/products/jarvis-st ... desk-frame

I'm struggling to find a decent top about 2100 x 800 or 900.

Current plan is some birch ply or mdf, my track saw and a trim router to round over the edges.

Would I be better with MR MDF or birch ply? 18mm or 25mm?

The bulk of the weight will be on the back (3 monitors) and the legs are rated at 158kg.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Personally I'd go with birch ply, for two reasons. If you're going for those legs which aren't cheap - even MRMDF will look tacky unless you paint it and lip the edges with something nice (and it'll need a good looking paint job as well) or possibly a sheet of melmine over it; secondly unless the monitors are going to be placed directly over the middle bracing, if they are of a decent size, the MRMDF may well deform a little over time with the weight.

Birch ply will look nicer even with just a simple coat of wipe on varnish or danish oil and is structurally far stronger.

If you don't mind the extra cost I'd go with the 25mm over the 18mm - if you're spending over £400 on the legs, skimping on the top seems a little silly.

Thank you for the response. It's pretty much the conclusion I've come to.

75+VAT for the 25mm birch ply but think it'll be worth it.

57+VAT for the 18mm birch ply.

There's obviously some additional weight.

Travis Perkins have 12mm at ~25kg per sheet. Double it and a bit more for 25mm. Say 52kg for a sheet. And I'll be using less than 75% of a sheet. Maybe 40kg.

Top = 40kg
PC = 16kg
4 x monitor @ 8kg each = 32kg
Other stuff = 2kg

Still under 60% of the allowed 158kg.

I think I'll go with the 25mm birch ply!

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back