A Stone "Pond"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Needing somewhere tidy to keep an 800 waterstone underwater while not in use I looked around the WS for inspiration. Open water in a glorified developing tray was just too much like asking for a disaster to happen - spillage, dust in the water etc.
I spotted a short offcut of 110mm PVC pipe about 250mm long. Further rummaging produced a coupling, a stop end and a screw-on stop end. I thought if I could fit the stop ends onto the bit of pipe I would have a water container tough enough to be useful but one that wouldn't leak or fill with rubbish.
Two minutes later I had a water tight plastic "pond" with a screw lid.
It does not leak no matter which way up it is. It stands upright with no trouble at all and it sits under the bench out of the way but instantly available. The waterstone fits inside with room for one more if necessary.
Result!
Cheers.

SF

SF
I was having the same thoughts on this a couple of days ago,
what I ended up purchasing was a air tight lunch box, the size is approx 10" long 3.5" wide 2" high, I am hoping that this will be good enough to take with me on site.
Very good idea though! if the lunch box doesnt work then I will have to try this!
Any chance of a photo?

Matt

look the way to go is simple, eat the ice cream in a two litre tub, and then clean it, and replace with a water stone.

what more do you need, satisfies the inner glutton, and produces a good storage facility that is designed to keep runny stuff inside :lol: :twisted: :roll:

paul :wink:

engineer one":l77b10xz said:
what more do you need, :lol: :twisted: :roll:

Something that does not leak.
Ice cream tubs are not good at holding water after they have been knocked off the shelf........DAMHIKT!
This one can live quite safely on the floor, though. I can kick it, it can fall over, I can stand on it, it can even roll around but the stone will still be reasonably safe. Best of all, though, is that the water stays inside.

Mind you,........ thinks............The ice cream element is definitely the best part of your plan, Paul.

SF

well all good plans have a flaw :lol: :lol:

how about not knocking it off the shelf, which might of course shatter the stone anyway :twisted: :roll:

Good point. That is why I have decided it will live on the floor under the end of the bench. It seems fairly safe there.
It occurs to me that if this "pond" is to be used on site it might be possible to make a smaller version out of smaller diameter pipe. I assume the screw-on end caps are available. Just a thought.
Did you have to mention ice cream at this time of day? I was OK but I am hungry now!
Cheers.

SF

I use these for storing my waterstones. I don't know if they, or something similar, are availalble in the UK. They are actually for storing meat but they are the perfect size for waterstones. My local supermarket sells them. Here they are in my workshop.

Their stackability is great because I can store them in a stack out of the way behind my bench drill press.

Shadowfax":9jxe2o7f said:
. . . That is why I have decided it will live on the floor under the end of the bench. It seems fairly safe there.
SF

mmmm, plastic cylinder rolling around under the bench - best buy a hard hat and some plasters! :wink:

Mirboo":3j348rjo said:
I use these for storing my waterstones. I don't know if they, or something similar, are availalble in the UK. They are actually for storing meat but they are the perfect size for waterstones. My local supermarket sells them. Here they are in my workshop.

Their stackability is great because I can store them in a stack out of the way behind my bench drill press.

That's exactly what I use for mine, a couple of quid in the supermarket.

promhandicam":31qu651j said:
Shadowfax":31qu651j said:
. . . That is why I have decided it will live on the floor under the end of the bench. It seems fairly safe there.
SF

mmmm, plastic cylinder rolling around under the bench - best buy a hard hat and some plasters! :wink:

Actually, it stands upright like a small flask. I'm not planning on kicking it round the floor. I just wanted something water-proof using the stuff to hand at the time. It works and if I did drop something heavy on it by mistake it will survive intact, within reason.
Have a good weekend, folks.

SF

When I was in my waterstone phase I used the dedicated pond from Veritas which was quite good but I thought expensive for what it was..a plastic tray with a couple of stone holders and a glass cover. There are much cheaper and probably better alternatives on the market than the one I had a few years ago - Rob

Back