A small weekend project - clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, finally something I'm not ashamed to show :)

After several small boxes, this weekend I decided to make something as a small present. Purchased a cheap clock mechanism, and decided to make a clock.
After checking out my offcuts pile, I decided to make it from a solid block of pine, with a wenge base.

The pics tell the story:

wip-clock1.jpg

(pencil left in the photo for size comparison)
Hour marks are small pieces of wenge just glued on the face.

wip-clock2.jpg

The back was chiseled out (I used a drill and a circle cutter first to avoid splintering..)

wip-clock3.jpg

The back "hole" for the mechanism was closed with a rather crude lid.
I hate those screws, but still haven't found any smaller/better. So, I had to work with what I had.

wip-clock4.jpg

The project completed. However, I didn't like the dials - those seemed rather "kitchy", so I decided to make my own from wenge.

clk-dials2.jpg

In short, that's the final result: body is a solid piece of pine, the base, face hour markings and dials are wenge. The dials were difficult to make - I had to be very careful drilling the holes (I used the "egg-beater" - hand powered...). One dial broke when I tried to widen the hole, so I had to make another one - this time I chose a piece with somewhat better grain.

Finish is water-based lacquer, except for the dials - those were finished with linseed oil and wax.

It's a birthday present, the birthday is in two days. :)

Not too bad - the finish could be a bit better, but I like it, nevertheless...

Denis

I rathere like that Denis, the contrast of the digits to the face is pleasing.

My only reservation is the red second hand. I feel that I would paint it black in your place.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, everyone.

A lot could be improved on this, I know.
But, I'm still a beginner, and learning on mistakes...

Thanks

Denis

Back