A small commission for £

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks an interesting job to say the least! What would be your ballpark for making something like that? Looks like at least 3 sections that are curved.with a spiral top and bottom?
Even with a simple profile it's gotta be thousands.

Bendywood.com worth looking at ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ISBN: 0-941936-63-5

It has good diagrams and explanations and staggeringly good examples of his work as illustrations, but sadly George diCristina seems to be no longer with us: I was interested enough to find his workshop In San Francisco on Google Street View - still there but looked abandoned around five years ago.

Those sweeping staircases of 1930s-1940s Hollywood? I suspect he made quite a few of them...

Point being, it's really hard to set out a curving handrail on its own. For the really complex stuff, he used to do full-size mock-ups in his workshop.

E.

PS: See also ISBN: 0941936023. I haven't got this one but it's available on Kindle, and one reviewer of diCristina's book says he has some of his geometry wrong and that this one is better. But ignore the diCristina review that says there are insufficient illustrations: in my copy, almost every other page is a diagram! diCristina does, however, assume the reader is a competent carver, which I most definitely am not!

Eric The Viking":i8bkwhyi said:
ISBN: 0-941936-63-5

It has good diagrams and explanations and staggeringly good examples of his work as illustrations, but sadly George diCristina seems to be no longer with us: I was interested enough to find his workshop In San Francisco on Google Street View - still there but looked abandoned around five years ago.

Those sweeping staircases of 1930s-1940s Hollywood? I suspect he made quite a few of them...

Point being, it's really hard to set out a curving handrail on its own. For the really complex stuff, he used to do full-size mock-ups in his workshop.

E.

PS: See also ISBN: 0941936023. I haven't got this one but it's available on Kindle, and one reviewer of diCristina's book says he has some of his geometry wrong and that this one is better. But ignore the diCristina review that says there are insufficient illustrations: in my copy, almost every other page is a diagram! diCristina does, however, assume the reader is a competent carver, which I most definitely am not!

Thanks Eric...nice book. I have a niggle in my brain that I might have had this book once upon a time :oops:

ColeyS1":2e0fw3vv said:
Bendywood.com worth looking at ?

Oh most definitely , thanks =D>

Very sexy stuff there. Not too sure re their UK distributor's woodie credentials as they seem to focus on 'hard' rails such as glass and metal. Will call them Monday.

I fitted some treads and risers between two brick walls years ago. There was another area that needed curvy handrail, that's when I heard about it. Not entirely sure if they went with wood or stainless in the end though.

Some time ago, possibly years, a member of this foum posted about the making of some curved sections for handrails. For use in high-end shops I think. If only I could think just what the thread might havebeen called.
xy

xy mosian":qoj1ahcq said:
Some time ago, possibly years, a member of this foum posted about the making of some curved sections for handrails. For use in high-end shops I think. If only I could think just what the thread might havebeen called.
xy
I think you're right. And I am thinking Richard Arnold, but I am not sure

Good spot, guys ! I wondered if the missing pictures were down to Photobucket chaning its' hosting regime regarding forums but it looks as if they've gone completely :cry:

Hi Roger, in an attempt to track down the original post I looked for RichardArnold in the members list. Not there, perhaps he has left and taken most of his posts with him.
xy

His forum name is richarnold, and he was here on the 3rd Jan. He can also be found sometimes on Facebook lurking around with the TATHS lot, I think.

Back