A slightly different box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have wanted to turn one of these for ages and finally got around to doing it.

Started with some good and some spalted cherry and finished with a lot of bits. Unfortunately I forgot to get a photo of the wood before I started.

Not really difficult to do, but accuracy is essential. This next one is using my Jacobs chuck to ease the split tube out so that the end ring can be glued in place. It stops everything falling off :mrgreen:

Lining up the pins is a bit hairy

I'm gald that I decided on just 12 letters on each ring. There was no way that I was going to do 25 and not even 24 as my index ring on my chuck would allow. I just chose the letters I wanted for my key and chucked a load more in to fill the gaps. The pyrography of the letters was easy but 12 was enough. 3 on the end fixed ring but only one of them is the index :twisted: :twisted:

I love the spalting of that cherry, but it doesn't take anything away from the lettering. And now I have a nice new cryptex 8) 8) 8)

Wow. Great project and really nicely done.

How many hours are in it if you don't mind my asking?

Simon

Along with a 3000 sq metre garden taking some priority it took about a week. But if it were done straight through about 8 hours?

I am now the proud owner of 4 new Forstner bits, up to 45mm!! Much easier than trying to poke the holes out with a gouge :mrgreen: , but as I said, it's not too difficult as long as you take your time to get the accuracy. I got the build sequence from this bloke on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_eM54vDsZU

I didn't like a couple of the ways he did it so there was some modifications. Give it a go. You may well be surprised :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Awesome stuff John! I've seen these done before but I must say yours is the nicest!

So to get in the box you must spell the right word, correct?

People are always telling that it's my spalt that this happened or my spalt that that happened. It goes totally against the grain and it seems to be mushrooming and all of the fungus-hes out of it. I mean, I work my fingers to the toads tool to get these things done and my-sillyum is getting thin underground #-o #-o

So, letters pray that I can continue? :? :?

Back