A rustic fruit bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I finally plucked up the courage to mount that lump of elm on the lathe. I was a bit scared in case I wrecked it completely. It was a big old lump of timber, and I was worried in case I ended up with little more than a spinning top.
It gave me a fair workout right through.
I also got a chance to use my new sanding arbour. It fairly takes the ouch out of sanding bowls.
elm mounted.jpg

Pretty near the documented limits of the lathe I believe. I chainsawed it into a near circle at a little over 300mm.
elm bowl outside.jpg

Turned the outside leaving as many of the faults, flaws & fissures as I could. Gave it a wipe with sanding sealer before flipping it around.
elm bowl inside.jpg

The overall height is about 75mm and I tried to keep the thickness as near to 20mm as I could. Nice and chunky.
It has now had 3 coats of melamine lacquer.
This will take pride of place in our kitchen holding fruit. I am fairly pleased with it, seeing it is the largest thing I have turned and a difficult piece of wood into the bargain.

Attachments

• elm bowl inside.jpg
    elm bowl inside.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 865
  • elm bowl outside.jpg
    elm bowl outside.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 865
  • elm mounted.jpg
    elm mounted.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 865
I am fairly pleased with it, seeing it is the largest thing I have turned and a difficult piece of wood into the bargain.

you are right to be pleased , what a beautiful piece of wood, well turned and i am sure you will have a smile on your face for many years every time you look at it. :D =D> :D
thanks for sharing
paul-c

Back